YAM PORRIDGE WITH PLANTAINS (VIDEO)
Yam Porridge with plantain is an incredibly rich and tasty one pot meal, and as the name implies the recipe is basically made with porridge and plantains, seasoned with salt and fortified with spinach and dry fish.
Servings 4 People
- 2 Lb Yam Small Puna
- 2 Plantains Large
- 1 Stock Fish
- 2 Tbs Cray Fish
- 1/2 Cup Palm Oil
- 1 Stock Cube
- Salt To Taste
- A handful of Spinach
- 4 to 4.5 Cups of Water
- The Sauce
- one of each Onion Tomato, Bell pepper and Habanero (blended and pre-boiled)
Peel the Yam, and cut it into small cubes, rinse the cubed Yams immediately to prevent it from browning and leave them in water until you are ready to use them.
Peel the plantain and cut into cubes
Put the cubed Yams, Plantains, stock fish, salt, seasoning cube and 4 cups of water inside a large pot. Cover it up and allow it to cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
Stir in the blended peppers, Tomatoes and Onions, Palm Oil and crayfish
Use a Potato masher or a wooden spoon to mash the Yam and plantain to your desired consistency. See note
Add the spinach and adjust the water and seasoning of necessary.
Let it simmer for a minute or two.
- I have pre-boiled the blended peppers and I choose to add it to the Yam at the tail end but it will be a good idea to add the blended peppers at the beginning or middle of the cooking process if you choose not to pre-boil the peppers, and this will ensure that the pepper is properly cooked.
- Yam Porridge usually gets thick as it gets cold, so feel free to add a little more water if you are not ready to it immediately.
- I like to mash my Yam pottage but i still like to retain some chunks inside it so i don’t mask everything but feel free to mash it to your desired consistency.
- I decided not to add diced onions to the Yam pottage because I blended a whole Onion with the peppers and tomatoes I used for the sauce. Feel free to divide the Onion into two blend half and dice half into you Yam.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 624kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 272mg | Potassium: 2315mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1322IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg