Shrimp Fried Rice
If you are new to making the Shrimp Fried Rice recipe, let me welcome you. The Shrimp fried rice has a fantastic flavor, not one that is overpowering but unique in its way. Don't get it twisted; the African shrimp fried rice is entirely different from the Chinese shrimp fried rice in its mode of preparation.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 10 People
- 4 Cups Rice
- 2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves Small
- 1 Tsp White Pepper
- 2 Onions Medium & Diced
- 6 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 0.5 lb Shrimps Cooked
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Habanero Pepper
- 0.5 Inch ginger root
- 1/2 oz mixed vegetable
- seasoning cubes optional
- salt optional
Wash and drain the rice and set aside
In a large pan, preheat the Oil, add the diced Onion and stir-fry for about one minute.
Add the bay leaves and Thyme and continue to stir-fry until the Onions become translucent and limp.
Add the washed and drained rice and stir for about 4 to 6 minutes until the rice smells toasty and nutty.
Add the Chicken stock, season with white pepper and curry powder. Toss in one habanero pepper (optional) Cover it up and leave to cook.
Once the rice is done, set it aside.
In a large pan, add about 1 tablespoon of Oil, add the diced Onion and grate in a bit of ginger, stir until the onion becomes limp.
Add the mixed vegetables, and stir for a few seconds. Add the shrimps and stir for few seconds as well. Season with salt and seasoning cubes if necessary.
Add the Rice and stir fry for about a minute or two. Take it off the heat and serve.
- **Talking about curry powder, I like to use the Jamaican hot curry powder, and a little bit of it goes a long way. If you can't find that, you can use any other brand that you like.
- Using stock cube and Salt is optional. You might need little to nothing of both depending on how well seasoned your Chicken stock is. I did use a tiny bit of both in mine.
- Frying the cooked rice in batches helps to get great fried rice, I used 4 Cups of Rice for this recipe, and I fried in 3 batches. Though you can fry once or twice if your pan is large enough,
- If you choose to add Habanero pepper, please don't forget to remove it after cooking. Eating habanero pepper is not a funny thing. I've been there!
- It is advisable not to leave the vegetables for too long on the stove top because it may quickly lose its nutrients and their color will become dull.
- Non-stick pans work best for stir-frying. Try to get a good one. I used the salad shrimps, but you can use any size of shrimp you want.
- My mixed vegetables contain sweet corn, Green beans, Sweet peas, and carrots. Other vegetables like Green bell pepper, Red bell pepper, and Green onions can also be used.
- The cooking time of the Rice will reduce slightly because of the toasting.
- Don't also forget to remove the bay leaves! Happy cooking!
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 353mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.5mg