Chicken pepper soup
Sometimes, a comforting bowl of soup is all you need. This easy to put together chicken pepper soup is loaded with spicy, bold, and hearty flavors. It’s so easy to make and you can hardly go wrong putting this together.
Servings 6 people
- 2 lb chicken
- 2 Tbsp Crayfish
- 3 inches ginger root
- 1 Tbsp pepper soup spice
- 6 to 8 cups water or as needed
- 2 scotch bonnets
- 1 onion
- 2 plantains Green
- 3 to 4 tsp seasoning powder About 3 cubes
- 5 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Basil leaves
Blend onions, ginger, garlic, and scotch bonnet and set aside.
Cut the chicken into pieces and clean thoroughly.
Put the cleaned chicken inside a pot. Add the blended mixture, seasoning powder and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly and leave to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the pepper soup spice, crayfish, and water. Stir and leave to cook for another 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel the plantains and cut them into about 2-inch chunks.
Add the cut plantains inside the cooking soup and leave to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or till the plantains become tender
Stir in the basil leaves and serve hot or warm.
- Adding a starchy food to this soup is totally optional, however, if you want to make this a full meal then it’s advisable to add it.
- If the starchy food stays too long in the soup (like the second day or more) it releases its starch inside the food. The starch released will thicken the consistency of the soup. I personally don’t mind, in fact, I like it. However, I know some people may not want that slight change in the consistency of the soup.
- I always prefer to use the home raised chicken, their meat is tougher, they have less fat and they are tasty!
- Rinsing the chicken is something I practice. However, if you don’t believe in washing your chicken, you can skip that step
- I often get the home raised chicken in ethnic stores like the Asian stores. However, if you can’t get them, feel free to use the bigger chicken that is quite easy to find.
- If you choose to add more water than the recommended amount of water given in the recipe, I’ll I suggest to taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 683mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 806IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg