Okro pepper soup
Okro pepper soup is a simple, spicy, delicious Nigerian soup that originated in the Southern part of Nigeria where it’s commonly referred to as Igbagba Ofofo or Gbagbafo by the natives.
Servings 6 People
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 lb catfish cut into chunks
- 1 smoked fish or any smoked fish
- 1 lb okra chopped or finely sliced
- 8 ounces Kale spinach, ugwu, sliced
- 1 onion large chopped finely
- 1 scotch bonnet
- 2 tbsp crayfish ground
- 5 cups water
- 2 bouillon cubes
- Cayenne pepper or red chili flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Periwinkle
Chop half of the okra, and slice the other half.
Add the water, onion, scotch bonnet, salt, seasoning cubes, and ground pepper in a pot and leave to boil
Place the clean, fresh fish in the seasoned water and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the peppersoup spice and Crayfish and continue to cook for a couple of more minutes until the fish is well-cooked. Remove from the water and set aside
Add the shrimps, and periwinkle and cook till shrimps are pink on the inside
Add the okra and cook for about two minutes.
Stir in the sliced vegetables and return the fish back to the pot of soup. Leave to simmer for about 2 to 3 more minutes
Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Serve hot alone or with a staple of choice.
- In this particular okro pepper soup recipe, I used only seafood. However, in rare occasions, poultry or meat can also be used.
- Pepper soups are generally spicy soups; they get a good kick from the peppers. Without the heat from the peppers, pepper soups seem to me to be only halfway there. The heat can always be controlled by the amount of pepper you add.
- Bell peppers are not usually added when making okra pepper soup, but I decided to add some diced red bell peppers in order to make the soup a bit more colorful.
Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 305mg | Sodium: 1022mg | Potassium: 1134mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4431IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 267mg | Iron: 3mg