NATIVE JOLLOF RICE – IWUK EDESI/PALM OIL RICE (VIDEO)
The Nigerian native Jollof Rice is also known as Iwuk Edesi or Palm oil rice is soul food at its finest – It’s hearty, incredibly satisfying, and deeply comforting. It is quite different from the popular Nigerian Jollof Rice because this recipe uses Palm oil and other indigenous Nigerian spices.
Servings 5 people
- 3 Cups long-grain rice
- Blended peppers See note
- Palm Oil
- 1 medium-sized Onion Divided into 2 parts – see note
- Smoked Fish/Dried Fish
- Cow skin/Ponmo
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Crayfish
- About a handful of prawns
- 2 Tablespoons locust bean
- Ugwu/Kale/scented leaves see note
- Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
Preheat the Palm oil on medium heat until it’s hot (not bleached)
Add the diced onion and fry till soft
Stir in the locust bean and fry for about a few seconds to a minute
Add the blended peppers and fry until it’s reduced, stirring at intervals so as not to burn the sauce.
Add the ground crayfish, Prawns, Dry fish, diced Ponmo, Salt to taste, and seasoning powder/cubes
Add the stock and water, cover it up and leave to come to a rolling boil (adjust the seasoning if necessary)
Stir in the Rice then cook until done. See note 3
Stir in the ugwu/Kale and palm oil (optional) simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes on low heat.
Serve and enjoy 🙂
- Keep in mind that you can make this Iwuk edesi with different varieties of dry Fish or smoked Fish. I usually use the Catfish but feel free to play around with the variety of dry Fish that suits your taste.
- Don’t be afraid to load your sauce with all these ingredients because the Rice will absorb all the flavors from the sauce to create a tasty Palm Oil.
- For me, the rice cooked for 30 minutes, covered, over low heat. Of course, other brands of rice will cook differently and everyone’s stove is different too. You can always check on the rice as it cooks and adjusts the heat according to how your rice and stove cook.
Serving: 5g | Calories: 794kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Potassium: 0mg | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg