Coconut Rice (African style)
A savory side dish made with rice, cooked in aromatic coconut milk. It is so rich, luscious and bursting with aromatic coconut flavors. You will be surprised that a Rice recipe this simple has so much flavor.
Servings 5 People
Ingredients For the Chicken
- 1.5 pounds Chicken quarters cut into small bite size
- 2 scotch bonnets Ata Rodo
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Curry powder
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Onion Diced
Ingredients For The Rice
- 3 Cups Rice
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock From the Boiled Chicken
- 1 cup Green bell pepper diced. orange, yellow or Red Bell peppers can also be used.
- 2 Tablespoons crayfish optional
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or any other cooking Oil
- 1/2 lb Shrimps Optional
Cut the chicken into small portions, rinse them and put them inside the Pot.
Season with salt, stock cube, thyme, curry powder. Add the Onions and Habanero pepper and Bay leaf. Stir, cover, and cook for 15 minutes then separate the chicken from the stock and set aside.
In a clean pot preheat the coconut oil, add the onion and stir fry till the onions become translucent. (about 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat). Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, crayfish, and habanero peppers and let it come to a boil.
Add the washed and drained rice and leave to cook for 15 minutes. Quickly throw in the shrimps, green bell peppers, and chicken. Cover it up immediately and let it cook on a low heat for 10 more minutes.
Turn off the heat and leave to steam for 5 minutes before opening the lid. Stir together. Serve and enjoy!
- Be sure to rinse the rice before cooking it. This will reduce the starch content in the rice a bit.
- Cook the rice on a low simmer to prevent it from burning
- The can coconut milk works best for this recipe not the ones in the cold milk section.
- For this recipe, I used basmati rice, however, you can use any type of rice you like but note that cooking time varies for different types of rice.
Calories: 726kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 7.7mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1.9mg