I am showing you how I make my coconut Rice (Nigerian style) today and I will be using the Basmati Rice but I have also provided some information below for directions for using the regular long grained Rice.
Directions for using the regular long grained Rice
First, you need to parboil the Rice
The Coconut milk will be 13/4 Cup and the stock too will be 13/4 but watch your Rice since the rate at which different brands of Rice cook is different from each other you might end up using a little more or less.
Note(s) – make sure you rinse the Rice with lukewarm water before cooking it. This will help to remove any excess starch in the Rice.
You can also check out my other Rice recipes
Coconut Rice (African style)
Ingredients For the Chicken
- 1.5 pounds Chicken quarters cut into small bite size
- 2 scotch bonnets Ata Rodo
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Curry powder
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Onion Diced
Ingredients For The Rice
- 3 Cups Rice
- 2 Coconut Milk
- 2 Chicken Stock From the Boiled Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons crayfish
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or any other cooking Oil
- Green orange, and Red Bell peppers (optional)
- Cut the chicken into small portions, rinse them and put them inside the Pot, add the Onions and season it with salt, stock cube, thyme, curry powder, Habanero pepper (Ata rodo) and Bay leaf stir it all together and cook for 15 minutes then separate the chicken from the stock and set aside.
- In a clean pot add the coconut oil or vegetable oil add the onion and stir fry till the onions is getting just browned (about 2 to 3 minutes on a medium heat) Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, crayfish and hot chili pepper and let it come to a boil.
- Add the rice (basmati rice) and allow to cook for about 15 minutes then quickly add the shrimps vegetables and chicken and cover it up immediately and let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Leave to steam for 5 minutes before opening it then stir it together, serve and enjoy.