Coconut Rice – A savory side dish made with rice, cooked in aromatic coconut milk. It is so rich, luscious and bursting with aromatic coconut flavors. You will be surprised that a Rice recipe this simple has so much flavor.
Rice is hands down my favorite grain because it’s very versatile.
- Make sure you rinse the Rice with lukewarm water before cooking it. This will help to remove any excess starch in the Rice.
- For this recipe, I used basmati rice, however, you can use any type of rice you like but note that cooking time varies for different types of rice.
You can also check out my other Rice recipes
**This coconut Rice recipe can easily be divided to serve a lesser number of people and can also be doubled to serve a larger group.
Coconut Rice (African style)
Ingredients For the Chicken
- 1.5 pounds Chicken quarters cut into small bite size
- 2 scotch bonnets Ata Rodo
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Curry powder
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Onion Diced
Ingredients For The Rice
- 3 Cups Rice
- 2 Coconut Milk
- 2 Chicken Stock From the Boiled Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons crayfish
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or any other cooking Oil
- Green orange, and Red Bell peppers (optional)
- Cut the chicken into small portions, rinse them and put them inside the Pot, add the Onions and season it with salt, stock cube, thyme, curry powder, Habanero pepper (Ata rodo) and Bay leaf stir it all together and cook for 15 minutes then separate the chicken from the stock and set aside.
- In a clean pot add the coconut oil or vegetable oil add the onion and stir fry till the onions is getting just browned (about 2 to 3 minutes on a medium heat) Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, crayfish and hot chili pepper and let it come to a boil.
- Add the rice (basmati rice) and allow to cook for about 15 minutes then quickly add the shrimps vegetables and chicken and cover it up immediately and let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Leave to steam for 5 minutes before opening it then stir it together, serve and enjoy.
If you make this Coconut Rice, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen