This fried Rice is a very simple yet delicious recipe. This version relies on a ton of fresh vegetables, Beef Liver, and a little bit of Oil for crisping it up.
The added beef liver gives the fried Rice a very nice rich but subtle taste, and this is why it is one of the most popular choices in Nigeria. Though you can also use Shrimp or any protein you’d like. If you would love to make vegan fried rice, you can omit the Beef liver or Shrimps entirely!
This fried rice is entirely different from the popular Asian Chicken Fried Rice because the depth of the taste in the later comes from the Soy sauce while the depth of taste of the later comes from the Curry powder, Thyme, Seasoning cubes and of course the abundance of vegetables like Carrots, Green beans, Peas, sweet corn and Onions.
Just like the Basmati Jollof Rice we savor these meals so much, and we can barely do without them in gatherings and festive seasons, and it’s a meal you can make in no time. So simple recipe, but the impact it makes in a gathering is quite remarkable!
You can watch the detailed fried Rice video below:
This recipe starts with already parboiled Rice, so it makes the whole process easier. If you don’t have already parboiled rice, you can see how to do that here. It’s also okay to use a day old Rice that has been refrigerated it is very convenient, and the result is just as good.
I also cooked this parboiled Rice in a bit of well-seasoned stock so that the Rice can absorb more flavor. Though it’s advisable to this, however, this step can be skipped if you are in a hurry.
Fresh Rice or Leftover Rice?
You can use either freshly cooked rice (parboiled) or leftover cold rice for this recipe. If you choose to use freshly cooked rice, make sure you choose the right type of Rice. I like to use the long grain parboiled Rice. This type of Rice is very easy to work with when making Fried Rice likewise, Jollof Rice because it’s firmer and less sticky, therefore, making it very difficult to go wrong when working with it.
Another key to achieving a good result when making this fried rice is to allow the freshly cooked rice (parboiled) to cool slightly before using it. The rice should be cool to the touch before adding it to the pan. If you are short of time, simply spread the rice on a sheet pan so that the steam can easily escape or just place the cooked rice inside the fridge for a few minutes.
Finally, it is important that you always wash the rice before cooking it. This will help to remove the excess starch on the rice, which can cause the rice to be clumped together.
- It’s o.k to add a dash of cayenne pepper if you like some heat!
- Don’t over boil your Rice before frying it, otherwise, you will end up with a soggy Fried Rice.
- Fried Rice is best enjoyed when the Veggies remain crunchy, so don’t overcook your veggies.
- I used mixed veggies which consists of Carrots, Sweet Peas, Sweet Corn and Green Beans. However, vegetables like sweet bell peppers can also be used.
- In order to achieve that nice coveted crisp, you will need to turn up the heat to high during the frying process and stir continuously as you allow the rice to heat up.
- I added pieces of beef liver in my fried Rice, a lot of people like this as well, but if you don’t want it you are free to leave it out, you will still enjoy the total goodness of the Fried Rice.
- When making this Fried Rice, it is best to use Chicken stock or Turkey stock because of their mils taste. The beef stock should be avoided as it can overpower the taste of the fried rice.
Here is my very simple yet delicious way of making my fried Rice. It is really straightforward, and the final result is awesome. Enjoy!
Nigerian Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 Cups cooked Rice
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables I used Carrots, Sweet Peas, Sweet Corn and Green Beans
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 2 Scallions
- 1 Cup Beef Liver Cubed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Curry powder
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- 1 Stock cube
- 3 Tablespoons Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Add the parboiled Rice to the stock and cook until the water is dried up.
- Preheat the oil in a Pan, throw in the Onions and fry for a minute or two, add the scallions, mixed vegetables and the seasonings ( Thyme, Curry Powder, Salt and Stock Cube)
- Throw in the rice and stir-fry for about 3 to 5 Minutes. Take it off the heat and serve
If you make this Fried Rice recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen