Welcome to my virtual kitchen!
My name is Lola, and this is the space where I share my fast, easy, family-friendly meals!
I’m the wife of one amazing man who, despite his busy schedule, takes his time to be the photographer and tech guy behind this blog. Plus, he’s my number one fan. I’m also the mom to three adorable kids, ten years and under, who love to dictate the meals I make (super busy momma!).
I’m happiest when I’m investing time in what matters most to me – family, health, career, personal growth, friends, and adventures, engaging in great conversation over a meal I just prepared, crossing something off my bucket list – like learning to ride a scooter! and being the reason behind the priceless look of joy on someone’s face. But I remind myself to choose happiness on laundry day, too!
A little bit of background …
I was born and raised in Nigeria, and this has greatly influenced what and how I cook. I mainly cook from scratch using fresh and minimally processed produce and cost-effective everyday ingredients that are readily available in your pantry or can easily be found at your local grocer.
I use a global approach to cooking, which helps expand the palate. While I cook indigenous African recipes, a lot of my dishes appeal to a broader audience. I have a wide range of recipes that will please seafood, chicken, or beef lovers, vegetarians, and the pickiest eater at your table.
My passion for cooking started at a very early age. My dad thinks I was about six, but I cannot remember a time before I started cooking. The passion and love I had for food in my childhood days have not yet changed; in fact, it continues to grow.
I’m a self-taught baker. Though both my late grandmother and my aunt were bakers, I did not learn any skills from them. I guess it runs in the blood!
I got my first job as a restaurant manager before moving to the States to join my husband. When I got to the States, I knew I wanted to pursue my passions. I had to choose between cooking and sewing (yes, I sew!). I chose cooking, and blogging has become my outlet to share my recipes.
Other things to know about me …
- I cooked a meal for a crowd of about 20 people at the age of 8 – a traditional Nigerian meal called Amala, made by stirring yam flour into hot water until a doughy lump is formed.
- My love for sewing remains, and I still sew when I can. I love making dresses for my little princess and myself. However, I’m not so good at sewing for boys and men. But I recently challenged myself and made a shirt for my son for the first time. I was proud of my results and so happy I made it.
- I studied Geology and Mineral Science in college but have never worked in that field (by choice).
- I’m quite shy, but if you’ve only known me recently, you may not notice because I’m getting better.
- I have a weakness for freshly baked goods – I think I got that from my grandma! So you will find a lot of baking recipes on this platform like my Super Soft Bread Rolls, No-knead Bread Rolls, Sweet Milk Bread, Meat Pies, and much more.
What you will find on this blog:
- African recipes: You will find the big and bold flavors from Africa like Egusi Soup, Jollof rice, African Irio (mashed potatoes, corn, and peas), and Sukuma Wiki (African braised collard greens).
- Breakfast recipes: I’ve got growing kids, so we don’t joke around with breakfasts. You will find quick and healthy breakfasts like Oatmeal Waffles (my kids’ favorite), Breakfast Semolina Porridge, and Sweet Potato Hash.
- Salads: I’m quite selective about my salads. I don’t do bland, so you will find not only nutritious but delicious salads like Tomato Mozzarella Salad, Chimichurri Chicken Salad, Tomato Cucumber Salad, Black-Eyed Peas Salad, and Easy Healthy Salmon Salad.
- Baking: It’s an addiction I can’t help myself with! You will find recipes for baking enthusiasts at all levels like my No-knead Sandwich Bread, Sausage Bread Rolls, Vanilla Cupcakes, and Quick and Easy Hot Dog Buns.
If you are a member of the media and want to write a story about Chef Lola’s Kitchen or are looking for an expert source for a column, please email me at lola (at) cheflolaskitchen (dot) com.
All Members of the Media are permitted to use a photo provided that credit will be given to the page where the photo was taken at cheflolaskitchen.com.
Join us on our social media platforms!
Feel free to contact me here with questions, suggestions, or information. I will reply as soon as I can.
I made a list of my top favorite products that I use in my kitchen. They are now available for you to shop.
I do hope you enjoy your stay here in my kitchen. xoxo