Sukuma Wiki – A perfect addition to a nice lunch or a cozy dinner. Delicious, quick, and healthy! It requires few ingredients, little effort, short cook time, and a delicious outcome! This is how one should be introduced to collard greens or kale.
Sukuma wiki is a nutritious and tasty vegetable dish that can accompany various meals.
This is one of Tanzanians and Kenyans staple vegetables. It’s basically braised greens and it’s made with kale or collard greens, onions, tomatoes, and spices.
Sukuma wiki is an inexpensive meal and in East Africa, it’s used to stretch out meals, so it lasts all through the week hence the name ”sukuma wiki” which means ”push through the week”.
Traditionally, it is served with ugali/sadza, roasted meat, or fish, but I love to serve it over rice as well.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING SUKUMA WIKI
- Oil – use one with a neutral taste and high smoking point.
- Chopped tomatoes – I like to use fresh, but canned will also work
- kale or collard greens – I always go for the fresh ones. Though the frozen ones will work, but it’s always better with fresh.
- Salt to taste and bouillon cube – Flavor!!
- Onion – must!!
- Garlic – Optional
- Beef – Optional
- Chili pepper – for a bit of heat -totally optional
HOW TO MAKE SUKUMA WIKI
- To prep the collard greens, wash, pat dry, cut up the thick stems, remove ribs and chop the leaves into desired sizes.
- As with most relish, sukuma wiki starts with onions finely sliced and sweated with salt and black pepper.
- Brown the meat and cook till done. If you are vegetarian, you can leave the meat out entirely. Don’t worry; your relish will still turn out delish!
- Fry the diced tomatoes or paste pretty well as you want the mixture dry before adding the collard greens or kale.
- Once you have added the collard greens or kale feel free to cook to your desired crunchiness or softness whichever way you like it.
I made this recipe with meat, but you can leave the meat out entirely if you are a vegetarian. Trust me, it will still be just as delicious.
other delicious greens you may like:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1.5 lb beef
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized
- salt to taste
- 1 beef bouillon cube or chicken
- 8 cups collard greens chopped or kale
- Get the oil preheated in the pan
- Add the diced onions and cook till golden brown about 5 minutes
- Add the beef and season with salt and bouillon cube. Stir well and cook till tender
- Add tomatoes and leave to cook for about 3 minutes or till the tomatoes become
- Stir in the collard greens or kale and cook till the leaves become tender.