Sweet Potato Hash – A simple breakfast meal made with sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onions, ground chicken, and spices. Savory-sweet, so easy to make and incredibly delicious! It looks like a lot of effort, but it’s really easy!!
Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet Potato Hash is one of the easiest meals to make, especially when you want something quick, tasty, and filling plus everything cooks in one pan! This is one recipe my whole family loves so much and I also pack it to school for my kids for their lunch. They always can’t have enough of it!
They have such a sweet flavor on their own so there is no need to add brown sugar or honey. Also, this recipe is very adaptable, I did use all ground chicken in this recipe but I’ve also used ground beef (so good), you can use sausage if you like.
Apart from this sweet potato hash, I also have this quick and oven roasted sweet potatoes and this breakfast skillet potato recipe. You will also like other delicious potato recipes and ground chicken recipes on the blog. These recipes are also a win with my family.
How to season sweet potato hash?
This sweet potato recipe does not require honey or sugar, the seasoning used here perfectly complements the sweet taste of the sweet potatoes making it more of sweet and savory-and since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet a little seasoning is needed to make it flavorful.
For this recipe I used:
- Smoked Paprika
- Black pepper
Trust me, overloading the potatoes with too many spices will ruin its taste.
How to make sweet potato breakfast hash
- Peel and cut the Potatoes – Peeling the potato is optional. If you choose not to peel it, simply wash the skin thoroughly and cut into about a half-inch thickness.
- Brown the ground chicken – Coat the pan with some oil for better browning and use a wooden spoon to break the meat into smaller pieces. Let it brown for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the Potatoes – Go ahead and cook the sweet potatoes till tender. Add the vegetables and ground chicken.
- Serve hot as is or with avocado or any desired accompaniment.
Watch how it’s made:
What type of sweet potatoes should I use?
Any variety of sweet potato can be used: white, red, purple. All works just well.
Should I peel my Sweet Potatoes?
Honestly, this is totally up to you. Personally, I like to peel my own sweet potatoes though I know the skin is just as nutritious as the potato itself but I just prefer peeling it. If you choose not to peel yours, make sure the skin is properly washed before cooking it.
Is sweet potato hash healthy?
Yes! It’s not only healthy but it’s super delicious.
You can also make this sweet potato hash with:
- ground beef
or simply make it a vegetarian meal by omitting the meat.
Other Potato recipes you might like:
- Quick oven-roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Ground beef and potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Potatoes and Egg stew
- Stewed Beef Potatoes
- African mashed Potatoes
- Scrambled Eggs and Potatoes Breakfast Muffins
- Quick and Easy Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- A Foolproof Homemade Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- I used ground chicken in this recipe, however, ground beef, ground turkey, or sausage meat can also be used.
- Non-stick pan or cast iron pan works well for this recipe. You can still use a regular pan but you will need to use more oil in order to save the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Sweet Potato Hash
- Ingredients for the Ground Chicken
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp water if necessary
- Ingredients for the Potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lb sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup bell peppers red, yellow, green
- 1/4 cup green onions optional
- Preheat two tablespoons of oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until translucent. About 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken and use a wooden spoon to break it into smaller pieces. Add cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, salt, black pepper, and one tablespoon of water if necessary.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Add two more tablespoons of oil to the same pan. Season the sweet potatoes with paprika, salt, and black pepper and add them to the skillet. Stir frequently, about every 2 minutes, until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. You can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil, if needed, to prevent the sweet potatoes from burning.
- Stir in the bell pepper. Cook for another two minutes, then stir in the cooked ground chicken.
- Sprinkle some green onions, parsley, or cilantro over it if desired, and serve hot.
If you make this Sweet Potato Hash, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen