If you want to give your family a change of pace from mashed potatoes, then try this ground beef and potato dish.
This one-pot dish is made with a combination of Ground beef with Potatoes. The juices from the ground beef get infused inside the potatoes and this creates a rich, intricate, and hearty flavor when combined with the Tomato sauce. It tastes so good that each time I made this my super picky kid would ask for more.
Ground beef and potatoes
This potato with ground beef is without a doubt a great one-pot meal. It is a family-friendly solution when you need to have dinner on the table fast. This meal is really filling and it makes a perfect dinner after a long busy day. The kids will also enjoy it as well.
This is a recipe I came up with one day when I had ground beef and potatoes in the house and I needed to make something interesting for dinner. Ever since I made it, it has become a family favorite.
In this recipe, I’ve used bell peppers, however, I’ve also used mixed veggies and I’ve made this with no veggies :). It’s so versatile. You can easily throw in any vegetables you have in your fridge.
I have always used Ground Beef for this because, for some reason, it’s always what I have at home whenever I make this meal but I know it will taste as good when done with Ground chicken or Ground Turkey.
- When browning and breaking the ground beef, keep some chunks if you wish. It will give the finished dish a more appetizing texture.
- I will suggest using the Russet potatoes if you can get that (pick the Big ones-it works better!).
- For a little kick, I added one minced habanero pepper. Jalapeno, cayenne pepper or crushed red chili pepper or sriracha sauce can also be used
- Ground Chicken or Ground Turkey can also be used to replace ground beef.
- Thyme can be replaced with rosemary
Ground beef and Potato dinner
- 6 Russet potatoes Medium to Large
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons fresh Parsley Chopped
- 2 Tsp Bouillon powder
- 1 Teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 11/2 Cup water
- 1 cup Chicken stock or beef stock
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 cup bell peppers Green, Red, orange - diced
- Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes, rinse and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Add the onions, thyme and bay leaf and cook stirring until the onions become translucent. About two minutes.
- Add the ground beef, break it up and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Season with bouillon powder, curry powder, and salt to taste. Cover the meat and leave to cook in its own juice for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Tomato sauce and leave to come to cook for 5 to 10 minutes or till the tanginess is reduced.
- Stir in the potatoes, add the water and stock and leave to cook till fork tender. About 20 minutes (a little more or less).
- Add the flour mixture to thicken up the sauce and leave to simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley leaves. serve and enjoy!
If you make this Ground beef and potatoes dinner recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen