Ground beef and potatoes – Give your family a change of pace and replace the regular potato wedges with this ground beef and potato dish. This one pot dish is simply made with a combination of Ground beef with Potatoes. The juices from the ground beef get infused inside the potatoes and this creates a rich, intricate, and hearty flavor when combined with the Tomato sauce. It tastes so good that each time I made this my super picky kid would ask for more.
This potato with ground beef is without a doubt a great one-pot meal. It is a family-friendly solution when you need to have dinner on the table fast. This meal is really filling and it makes a perfect dinner after a long busy day. The kids will also enjoy it as well.
I know Ground beef and potatoes is something most of us don’t want to try because often time the potatoes get mushy but the secret to avoiding this situation is to use freshest potatoes you can lay your hands on, also make sure you don’t overcook them – Potatoes cook much faster than we think.
I have always used Ground Beef for this because it’s always what I have at home whenever I make this meal but I know it will taste as good when done with Ground chicken or Ground Turkey.
When browning and breaking the ground beef, keep some chunks if you wish. It will give the finished dish a more appetizing texture.
I will suggest using the Russet potatoes if you can get that or just use the use the dark Brown skinned potato variety (pick the Big ones-it works better!).
If you like a little kick, stir in a little cayenne pepper or crushed chili pepper.
Ground Chicken or Ground Turkey can also be used to replace ground beef.
Cray Fish is optional, skip it if you can’t find it.
Other Potato recipes you might want to try
Potato and Chicken bake
Potato porridge recipe
- 5 Russet potatoes
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 green Onions Scallion
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 Cup Tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons fresh Parsley Chopped
- 2 Stock cubes
- 1 Teaspoon Crayfish Optional
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 11/2 Cup water
- 1 cup Beef or chicken stock
- Flour-Water mixture 2 Tablespoons of Flour + 1/4 to 1/2 cup Water
- Salt to taste
- peel the potatoes, cut into cubes, rinse and leave them in water till you are ready to use them - this will prevent them from browning
- Add 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pot and stir fry the Onions till it's a little browned (doing this will bring out the flavor of the onions) then add green onions and bay leaf and stir fry also for about a minute.
- Add the ground beef, break it up and season with stock cubes, paprika, curry powder, crayfish, black pepper, and salt to taste then allow the meat to cook through.
- Add the Tomato/Pepper sauce with the stock and water and leave to come to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes - don't overcook then add the flour mixture to thicken up the porridge and add the parsley leaves and you can also use, coriander leaves, cilantro, Basil or any green leafy vegetable
- serve and enjoy!
If you make this Ground beef and potatoes, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen