chicken and potato bake – This is Potatoes seasoned with salt, black pepper and paprika married with highly seasoned Chicken thighs baked under an hour – It’s an all-time favorite in my house completely made in one pan!
Chicken and Potato bake
Chicken and potatoes are such a great staple and comfort food. This recipe is a little different from the regular, but believe me, it’s a sure thing. The flavor is intense but not overpowering, and the chicken cooked to be moist and juicy on the inside, just the way we like it! It’s an extremely easy, cheap but flavorful meal.
I prefer to use a combination of red and white potatoes for this recipe. Other potatoes such as the Russet potatoes or the Irish potatoes will work just as well. However, you will need to cut the russet potatoes a little smaller for them to cook through at the given time.
I love having a bit of heat in my food, so I added some red chili flakes. If you are not a fan of the chili flakes, other options are scotch bonnet (habanero), Jalapeno, or simply skip the heat. (But, seriously, it tastes better with a little extra heat!)
It’s very important to season the chicken first before the potatoes. This will give the chicken enough time to absorb the flavors of the spices before it goes into the Oven. Personally, I’m not a fan of bland chicken; it’s not just my thing. So go ahead and slap the chicken with the seasoning.
There are two major reasons why I like these baked potatoes and chicken. First, is the fact that it doesn’t need any babysitting, all you need to do is: to wash and season your chicken, wash and cut the potatoes with or without the skin. Throw the potatoes inside the baking pan, season with Salt, pepper, and paprika. Place the seasoned chicken over it and voila! Your chicken and potato bake is ready!!
Secondly, I like the fact that the chicken and potatoes can go in the oven at the same time, together in one dish – No time to wait. Nice and simple, and great for a weeknight dinner!
Watch the video on how to make this chicken and potato bake
We had a little leftover from this meal because everyone was too full. When I was about putting it in the fridge my boy asked, who will eat this? and I replied, I will, then he said not fair. I know he wanted it the next day, but sorry boy, mummy will have to have this.
Suggestions on the substitutions you can make while making your baked potatoes
- You can substitute Rosemary for the thyme
- Olive oil can be substituted for any good cooking oil of your choice
- Any other potato like the Russet or the Idaho potato can also be used in place of the red and white potatoes
- If you don’t eat chicken skin, it’s important you remove the skin before adding the spices to the chicken.
- If you pan is not non-stick, you might want to grease it with some oil before adding the potatoes.
- You can add more vegetables of your choice like green beans, Brussels sprouts or any other vegetable of your choice.
- For best results, use a large pan that will the chicken and the vegetables in one layer. This will allow air to circulate around the food and the steam will escape. This will enable the food to brown nicely.
- I used Cilantro to finish up this recipe. Parsely or any other herb of your choice can be used.
Chicken and potato bake
Ingredients for the potatoes
- 2.5 lb potatoes
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the chicken
- 2 Lb Chicken thighs
- 1 Onion Cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Ginger powder
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- Chili pepper flakes optional
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 3 Carrots large
Directions for the Chicken
- Wash the chicken and season with all the spices and add the Olive Oil.
- Massage the Chicken thoroughly with the spice and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes
Directions for making the Potatoes
- Wash the potatoes and pat them dry with a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut the potatoes into four. Throw them into the baking pan. Add the Carrots, Onions, green onions, season with salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil and mix together.
- Place the Chicken over the seasoned potatoes and vegetables and bake at 425°F for 45 to 50 minutes or till the chicken and potatoes are perfectly cooked through. An instant-read thermometer inserted through the thickest part of the chicken should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Thanks for stopping by. Let’s connect!
If you make this chicken and potato bake recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen