Last updated on November 23rd, 2020 at 04:55 am
Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes – So simple, yet so delicious, these oven-roasted sweet potatoes make for a perfect snack or compliment to just about any meal.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are very versatile side, and it tastes really good no matter its mode of preparation. However, roasting brings out a very good depth of flavor in potatoes.
The ingredients for making these roasted sweet potatoes are:
- Sweet Potatoes – Choose fir tubers with uniformly bright skin, free of soft spots and mold.
- Salt and black pepper – These are the main ingredients and should not be skipped.
- Garlic powder – I use this when I want the milder garlic flavor in my recipes. It will not overpower the other flavors I use.
- Smoked Paprika – Gives the Potatoes a smoky taste
- Oil – the oil gives the sweet potatoes a nice crisp exterior. Any good cooking oil will work perfectly well for this.
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
There is little need to reinvent the wheel with this recipe, but a few specific tips can really help to make these oven-roasted sweet potatoes realize their full potential.
The steps required to make the roasted sweet potatoes are minimal:
- Peel the sweet potatoes – It’s also okay if you choose not to peel. This is totally up to you If you choose not to peel the potatoes, be sure to wash it well. The skin has lots of great nutrients, and it’s a time-saver.
- Cut into cubes – It’s important to cut the potatoes as uniform as possible in order to have uniform doneness. About 1 inch cubes are fine. Bigger cuts will take longer to roast.
- Season – seasons well and toss in a generous amount of oil to allow for caramelization of the edges.
- Roast – Oven temperature of 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure the oven is fully preheated—the high temperature is key to getting the right crispiness
How long to make Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes?
Just 10 minutes of prep and about half an hour of roasting in the oven.
Do you leave the skin on Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes?
This is up to you. I like to peel mine, though, just because I prefer to. If you like the flavor and texture of the skin, leave it on. It also has more fiber that way.
What to serve with Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes?
The dish can be served with proteins as a meat and potato pairing. Here are a few of my favorites:
Do Oven-Roasted Potatoes keep well?
They won’t spoil quickly, and they can be reheated in the oven (the microwave will make them soggy), but they will always be best right out of the oven.
Other Potato recipes you might want to try:
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes with rosemary
- Breakfast Potatoes and Egg stew
- Ground beef and Potatoes
- Stewed beef Potatoes
- Baked Chicken and Potato
- Skillet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Creamy Classic Potato Salad
- Irio – African mashed Potatoes with peas and sweet corn
- Breakfast Sweet Potato Hash – Quick and Easy
Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Trim the ends of the sweet potatoes, peel, and cut into cubes.
- Put the potatoes in a large bowl, add the oil, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, and salt. Toss until the potatoes are well coated.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking oil spray.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet in one single layer and spread evenly to prevent sticking.
- Place in the center rack of a 425ºF (220°C) preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or till the sweet potatoes become fork tender. (Flip every 10 minutes)
- Sprinkle over with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
If you make these Roasted Sweet Potatoes, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen