Black-Eyed Peas Salad – Loaded with lots of vegetables, inexpensive to make, easy to prep, and absolutely delicious.
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
This salad uses lots of fresh ingredients, and it even gets better the longer it stays in the fridge plus it’s perfect for almost any occasion.
Both beautiful in presentation and taste, this salad uses black-eyed peas, sweet corn, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, bell peppers, and Jalapeno pepper. A homemade vinaigrette ties it all together. It’s so delicious and satisfying.
The southerners feel pretty strongly about their black-eyed peas. That’s why it’s often made on new years eve because it’s believed to bring good luck for the year. However, this is great for every season of the year. It’s a terrific dish to take to a potluck or any type of get together.
There aren’t too many secrets to this salad—simply combining fresh flavors and letting them marinate together makes for one of the easiest dishes you’ll make without breaking the bank or sacrificing flavor.
How To Make Black Eyed Peas Salad
All you need to make this salad are:
- Black-eyed peas – I like to use freshly cooked black-eyed peas – personal preference. If using canned black-eyed peas, just drain and rinse before using.
- Corn – I used frozen corn. You will also need to drain and rinse if you are using the canned variety.
- Honey – I also used honey in place of sugar. Feel free to use Replace honey with sugar if that’s what you have.
- Red wine vinegar – In place of red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lime or lemon can be used.
- Parsley – You can also use cilantro
Other ingredients include cucumber, Tomatoes, Red bell pepper, Red onion, Jalapeno Pepper, olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. However, you don’t need to be limited to what you add to this salad. Bacon, avocado, Cajun seasoning, feta cheese are good extras that can be added!
What is Black-Eyed Pea Salad?
If you aren’t from an area where Black-Eyed Peas are common, you probably wouldn’t know about this salad. Black-eyed peas are legumes named so for the dark spot that stands out from their otherwise lighter color.
The salad is simply fresh veggies mixed with black-eyed peas, so it is similar to a chickpea salad, but with a different flavor and texture.
How long does it take to make this Salad?
It takes only 10 minutes of active prep work and 4 hours of refrigerating. Perfect for making the night before or morning of your meal.
Is Black-Eyed Peas Salad vegan?
Yes, just be sure to use a vegan oil, such as Olive oil, as the recipe suggests.
What to serve with Black-Eyed Peas Salad?
Black eyed-peas salad can be served and enjoyed as is, it can be served alongside chips, and it also compliments proteins well, so feel free to serve with smoked turkey, bacon, beef, chicken, or fish.
Can I add other vegetables?
This salad is extremely customizable. In addition to the Flavor Variations below, pretty much any vegetable or seasoning could potentially work. There are African, Indian, and Greek variations of this salad that open up the recipe to other flavors such as curry and feta as well.
Does Black-Eyed Peas Salad keep well?
Yes. It is great for making well in advance and leftovers days after the meal. In fact, it’s better the next day because the flavors will have enough time to meld.
- I added one jalapeno pepper for a bit of heat and flavor. If you don’t like the heat you can remove the seeds and ribs.
- The vinaigrette dressing is very versatile, you can also use on any bean salad and most vegetable salads.
- I love lots of corn in my salad, you can reduce the quantity if you want to.
Here are some other black-eyed Peas recipes you might want to try:
Black Eyed Peas Salad with simple vinaigrette dressing
For the Salad
- 2 cups of black-eyed peas
- 2 cups of corn
- 1 cucumber diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- ½ red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Jalapeno pepper minced
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- ½ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the beans, corn, cucumber, tomatoes, red bell peppers, onion, parsley, and Jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the rice wine vinegar, lime, olive oil, honey, cumin, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the dressing to the salad and mix well.
- Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and enjoy this blog. If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen