Crispy Spring Rolls – These are tasty finger foods. They are super crunchy, crispy and flavorful with savory beef and vegetable fillings – mildly seasoned with Salt, bouillon cube, chili powder, curry powder, and black pepper; A perfect contribution to a potluck!
Crispy Spring Rolls
With the spices used in this recipe, it is easy to spot that this is not the traditional Asian spring rolls. This is the West African style. This recipe is a great example of how a different presentation of something familiar can make it seem fresh and new.
It is way easier to put together than it’s Asian counterpart and it also uses ingredients that are easy to source. However, the flavor is in no way lacking.
You will find these crispy rolls at almost every party in most West African countries including other finger foods or snacks like puff puff, Buns, Chin Chin, and Fish Rolls.
Watch the video recipe below
The best way to achieve this type of Spring roll that is not just crackly crispy but will stay like that is to use a very good quality spring roll sheets. The homemade sheet is a very good option. Check out my recipe for the homemade spring roll sheets here.
Another option is to use the store-bought wrapper and in this case, you have to do a lot of trials and errors in order to get the brand that will work best.
Can spring Rolls be made in advance?
These spring rolls can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight. However, you need to ensure that your filling is not too moist or oily otherwise, the skin will get soggy. Also, make sure the filling is completely cooled before you fill the spring rolls because the steam will also cause the skins to fall apart.
Finally, I will advise that you don’t overstuff the spring rolls so that there’ll be more layers of the skin covering the filling, this will make them harder to break or burst open during the frying process.
can I reheat leftovers?
Yes, you can reheat the leftovers, however, they won’t be as crispy. It will be advisable to prep them ahead, I suggest assemble them and freeze until the day you want to eat them and then fry that day.
- Talking about the filling, it is best not to cook the vegetables before stuffing the sheets otherwise it will become soggy. what I always do is just to mix the veggies with the Meat as soon as it’s cooked and I allow everything to cool down before filling the spring roll sheets.
- Also, make sure your spring rolls are tightly rolled and there are no gaps or cracks where oil can seep in.
- These rolls are best served hot. You can eat as is or serve with a dipping sauce. Enjoy!
[su_box title=”Other delicious treats you might wish to try:” box_color=”#273B56″]
- Sausage bread rolls – Sausage enveloped in a super soft bread
- Meat pie – West African delight
- Jamaican Patties – Caribbean delight
- Sausage Rolls – a delicious blend of boiled egg and sausage with a little kick of spice
- Samosa – filled with chicken and vegetables
- Fish roll – African fish pastry
Crispy Spring Roll
- 1/2 Pound Beef
- 2 Tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 Onion small diced
- 2 scallion diced
- 1 Stock cube
- 1 Tsp chili pepper
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 3/4 Cup Cabbage shredded
- 3/4 Cup Carrots Shredded
- 1 Tsp Curry powder
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Enough Oil to fry
- Preheat the 2 tablespoons of Oil in the pan and saute the Onion and scallion until it's translucent then add the Chili pepper, black Pepper, Curry powder, salt to taste and the stock cube.
- Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up into tiny pieces then stir-fry until the meat is cooked through then add the shredded cabbage and carrots and turn off the heat to prevent the vegetables from turning soggy and leave it to cool before using it.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and Water to make the paste and set that aside.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of filling to the spring roll sheet you can add a little more depending on the size of your sheets but don't overfill it, else, it's going to burst while frying it, then secure it with the paste and roll it up. (please watch the video for details). Remember to cover both the rolled and unrolled sheets with a damp kitchen towel to prevent it from drying.
- Fry in a preheated Oil of about 350°F until golden brown. Serve with your favorite dip or sauce or eat as is. Enjoy!
You can find me on Facebook, and Instagram … I love keeping in touch with all of you 🙂
If you make these Spring Rolls, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen
Friday 16th of December 2022
please can i get the procedure in making the wrap pleasssssssseee
Sunday 11th of December 2022
Pls about the beef ma How do I go about it ?? Do I have to boil the beef before adding it to the oil
Fasasi kehinde Ayomide
Tuesday 25th of October 2022
This is a wonderful website Keep up the good job👍👍
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Monday 19th of December 2022
Thank you for your kind words, Kehinde.
Sunday 15th of May 2022
Thank you for your detailed and helpful recipes and instructions. I wish I had seen your bread rolls recipe earlier before doing what I did. I added too much flour and didn't use the egg wash either. It was eatable but it could have been better. Thank you for pouring your heart.
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Saturday 28th of May 2022
You are welcome, Oluwadara. Looking forward to your feedback on your next trial.
Thursday 26th of August 2021
I will like to follow you
Wednesday 27th of October 2021
Thanks for your interest Temitope. You can click this link to sign up.