Crispy Spring Rolls – These are tasty finger foods or snacks that are deep fried and super crunchy, crispy and flavorful with savory beef and vegetable fillings – mildly seasoned with Salt, bouillon cube, chili powder, curry powder, and black pepper; A perfect contribution to a potluck!
With the spices used in this recipe, it is easy to spot that this is not the traditional Asian spring rolls. This is how it is made the African way. This recipe is a great example of how a different presentation of something familiar can make it seem fresh and new. It is way easier to put together than it’s Asian counterpart and it also uses ingredients that are easy to source. However, the flavor is in no way lacking.
The best way to achieve this type of Spring roll that is not just crackly crispy but will stay like that is to use a very good quality spring roll sheets. The homemade sheet is a very good option. Check out my recipe for the homemade spring roll sheets here. Another option is to use the store-bought wrapper and in this case, you have to do a lot of trials an errors in order to get the brand that will work best.
Can spring Rolls be made in advance?
These spring rolls can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight. However, you need to ensure that your filling is not too moist or oily otherwise, it will make the spring roll skins soggy. Also, make sure the filling is completely cooled before you fill the spring rolls because the steam will also cause the skins to fall apart.
Finally, I will advise that you under-stuff the spring rolls so that there’ll be more layers of the skin covering the filling, this will make them harder to break or burst open during the frying process.
Talking about the filling, it is best not to cook the vegetables before stuffing the sheets otherwise it will become soggy. what I always do is just to mix the veggies with the Meat as soon as it’s cooked and I allow everything to cool down before filling the spring roll sheets.
Also, make sure your spring rolls are tightly rolled and there are no gaps or cracks where oil can seep in.
These rolls are best served hot. You can eat as is or serve with a dipping sace. Enjoy!
Crispy Spring Roll
- 1/2 Pound Beef
- 2 Tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 Onion small diced
- 2 scallion diced
- 1 Stock cube
- 1 Tsp chili pepper
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 3/4 Cup Cabbage shredded
- 3/4 Cup Carrots Shredded
- 1 Tsp Curry powder
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Enough Oil to fry
- Preheat the 2 tablespoons of Oil in the pan and saute the Onion and scallion until it's translucent then add the Chili pepper, black Pepper, Curry powder, salt to taste and the stock cube.
- Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up into tiny pieces then stir-fry until the meat is cooked through then add the shredded cabbage and carrots and turn off the heat to prevent the vegetables from turning soggy and leave it to cool before using it.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and Water to make the paste and set that aside.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of filling to the spring roll sheet you can add a little more depending on the size of your sheets but don't overfill it, else, it's going to burst while frying it, then secure it with the paste and roll it up. (please watch video for details). Remember to cover both the rolled and unrolled sheets with a damp kitchen towel to prevent it from drying.
- Fry the spring rolls in a preheated Oil of about 350°F until golden brown. Serve with your favorite dip or sauce or eat as is. Enjoy!
If you make this spring roll recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen