Let’s talk about Samosas; these little but tasty pastry can either be fried or baked and it can serve as an appetizer, entree or snacks, though it is said to have originated from Asia but it has definitely captured the hearts of other world regions. They are usually filled with a savory filling like spiced boiled potatoes, onion, lentil, beef, chicken etc.
Here is a list of what samosas are also known as depending on the region/locality – it’s a lot but I’ll just list a few (the common ones) – samoosa, Somsa, Sambosak, Somaas, Sambosa, Sambusa.
Notes: cooking the sheets is optional but it helps for easy handling and better storage. You can actually store the pastry sheets in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days and you can freeze them for a couple of months.
For the dough;
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Water as needed
For the Filling
- 1/2 pound Chicken boneless
- 1 onion small
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- Cayenne pepper or green chilies to taste
- Parsley or coriander
- For the Dough; combine the Flour, Salt, and Oil in a large bowl and use your finger to rub the Oil into the Flour until you get a crumbly texture. Stir in the Water about a tablespoon at a time until a soft and pliable dough then knead for about 7 to 10 minutes or till it's smooth and elastic. Then cover it up with a plastic wrap and allow it to rest or about 30 minutes.
- Place the Dough back on a work surface and divide it into 6 parts then flour the work surface and roll out each part into a circle and at this point you can divide each circle into 4 and fill it with the stuffing but I like to go a step further by pre-cooking the sheets because it makes it easier to handle.
- Preheat a heavy bottom pan/skillet then place the rolled out dough over it and cook the first side for about 10 to 15 seconds and the other side for about 5 to 10 second then remove it from heat.
- Divide the pastry into 4 quarters and they are ready to be used.
- For the filling; Add the boneless chicken part in a Pot together with some salt and Water and boil the chicken until it's tender.
- Allow the chicken to cool for few minutes then blend it in a blender: don't add any Water to this while blending and just use the pulse button to blend (about 2 turns is fine) - please don't over blend!
- Stir fry the Onion and Garlic in the oil until it's translucent then stir in the Chicken as well as the seasonings, Scallion and Spinach then remove from heat and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Make a thick paste by mixing 2 Tablespoons of flour together with 3 to 4 Tablespoons of water and this will be used a glue for the pastry
- Take each of the 'quartered circle' and apply the paste to the inner edge and outer edge of the pastry (please refer to video above if you need help with this) and seal it up then hold up the pastry like you would hold an ice cream cone (It should have a cone shape at this point) then fill it with about a tablespoon of filling but don't overfill.
- Then apply the paste to the open end and seal it up.
- Fry this in a preheated Oil of about 350 degrees Fahrenheit and fry both sides till golden brown.
- This is best enjoyed while hot or warm.
Okafor onyinyechi Felicia
Wednesday 5th of January 2022
Interesting Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
Tuesday 13th of October 2020
How do I store the sheets
Tuesday 20th of October 2020
I freeze them. I let them thaw to room temperature whenever I'm ready to use them. I hope that helps?
Friday 8th of May 2020
Thanks for the recipe
Thursday 12th of March 2020
Wednesday 18th of March 2020
Monday 11th of March 2019
Pls how do I download the videos?