Scotch Eggs are a delicious blend of boiled egg and sausage with a little kick of spice. Great for breakfast, appetizer, or a quick snack during your busy day. They’re simply delightful!
Scotch eggs are basically boiled Eggs wrapped in a blanket of Sausage meat, breaded and deep-fried till golden brown and I must add, they are very delicious as well.
These are perfect for breakfast, brunch or snacks and just in case you are watching your waistline you can try these baked scotch eggs!. After wrapping and breading just pop it in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
How to make Scotched Eggs
Sausage meat – The most important part of any scotch egg is, of course, the meat – In this recipe, I used the sausage links but I also like to use the bulk sausage as well. However, ground beef also works but you will need to go a bit further by adding eggs and more seasoning to get that soft desired texture.
Eggs – I prefer my yolk solid but soft enough. If you like the running yolk, feel free to boil, simply soft boil the eggs so the yolks don’t overcook when they are fried.
Bread crumbs – A well-made scotch egg should be golden brown and crisp, that is why the bread crumb is very important, and I prefer to use the Japanese panko bread crumbs. This might not be the traditional crumbs, but trust me, it makes such a crispy crust.
Seasoning – The sausage comes already seasoned. However, I prefer my scotch eggs a little more robust, so I add red chili powder and a bit of nutmeg. I like to add salt and pepper after slicing it just before eating it.
The process of making scotch eggs is straightforward
- Boil the eggs and generously season the sausage meat
- Roll out the sausage and place your boiled egg inside the sausage
- Wrap this deliciously seasoned sausage meat around your egg until the boiled egg is encased in sausage meat.
- Coat with flour, whisked eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Fry till golden brown
- 1 lb Sausage links
- 1/4 Tsp hot chili powder
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 6 Eggs large boiled
- 1 Egg raw & lightly beaten
- All-purpose Flour enough to coat the Scotch Eggs
- Bread Crumbs enough to coat the Scotch eggs
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- season the sausage with dd the Hot chili powder and Nutmeg then mix this together thoroughly (you can mix with a fork or your hand)
- Scoop a small ball sized Sausage meat portion, flatten it out with your palms, then drop the Egg in the middle of the flattened out Sausage Meat and wrap the Meat around the Egg until the Egg is totally encased - It's good to dip your hands in water before molding the meat, this will help the Meat to glide smoothly on your hands and it makes the whole process less messy.
- Now roll the Meat wrapped Egg in the flour and dust off the excess flour, then dip it into the beaten egg, and finally roll it in the Bread crumbs.
- preheat your Oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and fry till golden brown. Enjoy!
Thank you for stopping by, if you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen