Mandazi which is also called Mahamri or Mamri is an East African deep fried sweet Bread. This soft textured snack is related to the Doughnut family, it has that soft texture of Bread when done right and it’s Soo… tasty.
Though this is deep fried but you will never know when eating it because the Oil is not absorbed by the Bread it only cooks the dough from the outside.
You can serve this with Tea, Coffee, or a glass of Milk. You can as well try this with Fruit preserves, Jam or Caramel Sauce. They taste so sweet.
Notes: It is important to note that Mandazi turns brown pretty quickly during frying so you really have to keep an eye on it!
It is also very important not to overcrowd the Mandazi during frying so that each piece Dough piece can have enough space to move around and swell as well.
Sweet Fried Bread - Mandazi (Mahamri)
- 31/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Coconut powder
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cardamom powder substitute with Nutmeg or Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoon Yeast
- Pinch Salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 Tbs of sugar in the warm water. Let sit until creamy; about 10 minutes.
- In another Medium bowl, whisk the coconut Milk and Egg together and set aside
- In a separate large Bowl, mix together the all purpose Flour, Coconut powder, Cardamon powder, sugar and salt, create a well at the center and pour in the the proofed Yeast and the coconut milk and Egg mixture, then mix this together until a dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until the Dough is smooth and elastic and put the dough into a large oiled Bowl, cover it up and leave to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour in a warm place.
- punch down the air from the Dough and transfer it to a floured work surface and divide it into 6 to 8 hand sized pieces (depending on how big or how small you want each piece to be) and roll out each piece into a circle then divide each circle into 4 triangular pieces and leave to rest again for about 5 minutes.
- preheat some cooking Oil (enough to deep fry the Dough) and fry both sides of the Mandazi until golden brown. Enjoy