Homemade Ground Beef – Making your own freshly Ground beef in the comfort of your home is not difficult at all, it takes just a couple of minutes to prep and your food processor; and do you know that freshly Ground Beef tastes way better than the store-bought ones?
DIY Homemade ground beef in a food processor
Just a little bit of digression: I have stopped buying store-made ground beef ever since I came across an article that says one packet of the store Ground Beef contains Meat sourced from more than 100 cows. Do you think that is ethical? Why not make your own Ground beef from the meat sourced from a single cow?
Ground beef is a staple ingredient in our kitchen, it has a lot of uses in our kitchen, from meatballs to meatloaves to sauces and much more. It’s also inexpensive.
What is ground beef?
Ground beef also known as minced meat is a meat product made by grinding the meat of a cow.
What are some ways to cook with ground beef?
Ground beef can be used in many recipes including tacos, casseroles, meatloaves, burgers, spaghetti Bolognese, spaghetti sauce, and more! It can also be used in casseroles and lasagna.
Why make your own ground beef?
You may ask why grind your own beef since it’s inexpensive; the answer is simple. Do you know one packet of the store-bought ground beef contains meat sourced from more than 100 cows? Do you think that is ethical? Why not make your own ground beef from meat sourced from a single cow?
- When you make your own ground it’s always tastier, juicier, and more flavorful!
- You can regulate the amount of fat in your Ground Beef.
- You have control over the meat source and process.
- Since you are using the meat cut from a single source, you will have ground beef with a loose crumbly texture which will result in tender burger meat not a dense chewy texture like the store-bought ones.
- You are also in control of the amount of fat that goes into your ground beef!
How To Grind Your Own Burger Meat plus tips to achieving the best results when using a Food Processor
Grinding your home burger meat is so easy. l you need is your partially frozen meat and your food processor. The following are guides that will help to ensure a good result
- The first tip is to choose a good meat cut. The ones with fat marbling with some fat around the edges make the best ground beef. The fat helps to make the ground beef tasty and tender.
- Freeze the meat. There’s no need to freeze it rock-hard. About 30 minutes in the freeze will do just fine.
- Cut the beef into 1 to 2-inch cubes. This will make it easier for the food processor to break it down, making the meat blend turn out even.
- Pulse in small batches. About 10 pulses per batch. Be sure to check the consistency between pulses to avoid over-processing the meat.
What is the best meat cut to use for your homemade ground beef?
- Chuck roast – This is my first option because it has a perfect meat-to-fat ratio-80/20. This fat is required to improve the texture of the ground beef without leaving the ground beef greasy.
- For Fattier ground beef I will recommend short rib
- Another meat cut that yields a delicious flavor is round. However, it is very lean. You can get the best of this meat cut if you blend it with has short rib to give it a good meat-to-fat ratio – 70/30 or 80/20
Many other meat cuts like sirloin tip, stew beef, boneless rump, can also be used but you may need to add
If you have a meat grinder, go for it but if otherwise, bring out your food processor and let’s make our fresh Ground Beef.
- Make sure your hands, surfaces, and all your utensils are well cleaned before and after the whole grinding process in order to prevent the spread go germs.
- Don’t overfill the food processor. It’s best to work in batches so that all the beef can be uniformly blended.
- Don’t use the blend function, use the pulse function otherwise, it will result in meat paste.
- If this is your first time making ground beef, I recommend using chuck roast, as you master the process, feel free to use different meat cut blends until you reach your desired taste and texture.
What to make with ground beef:
- Nigerian Meatpie
- Ground beef and Potatoes
- Delicious Jollof Spaghetti
- Homemade pizza recipe
- Classic Hamburger
- Spaghetti Sauce
This post has been updated — first published in August 2016.
Best Easy Ground Beef Recipe
- 1 lb Beef
- Place your meat in the freezer for about an hour, a little more or less until it becomes partially frozen. You should still be able to cut through it.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, remove the meat from the freezer and into small-sized cubes – about an inch or two each.
- Put the meat cubes inside the food processor and process it for a couple of seconds, or simply give it about 20 to 22 pulses using the pulse button on your processor.
- Use as desired.
If you make this Homemade Ground Beef Recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen