Are you looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional beef patties? Look no further than my personal black bean burger recipe! Not only is it packed with flavor, but it’s also a great source of protein and fiber.
What is a Black Bean Burger?
Black Bean Burger is a meatless burger made primarily from black beans. It is a popular substitute for traditional beef patties. They are tasty and hearty, and you don’t need a long list of ingredients to enjoy this meal; it doesn’t take too long to make as well!
Why should you embrace the black bean?
- Nutritional powerhouse: Black beans are loaded with protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy and satisfying choice.
- Budget-friendly: They’re affordable, accessible, and require minimal prep, making them a good choice for budget-conscious cooks.
- Flavorful: Black beans take on spices beautifully.
The Versatile Black Bean Burger
The versatility of this recipe allows you to substitute ingredients as per your preferences without compromising the core essence of the dish. For instance, swapping the bread crumbs with oats.
If you like a little heat, try adding some diced jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce to your black bean burger mixture. This will give your burger a spicy kick and add some extra flavor.
Also, to save up on the daily cooking hassle, you can freeze the patties before cooking for around a month. All you need to do is place the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, freeze them until they become hard, and then stack them in a freezer bag or container. When cooking, just add a few extra minutes on each side, and your frozen patties will taste as fresh as they were made on the spot.
Ingredients for making Black Bean Burger
- Black Beans: This is the primary ingredient. It forms the base for the patty, providing a hearty consistency and a rich, robust flavor.
- Breadcrumbs: binds all the ingredients together, giving the burger patty structure and preventing it from falling apart during cooking. They also add some nice crunch and texture.
- Red Onion: These add a depth of flavor. The sharp, sweet, and slight bitterness of red onions gives the burger a fantastic taste depth.
- Egg: For binding the beans together
- Cilantro or Parsley: These freshen up the taste and add a hint of earthiness to the burger. The addition of these herbs ensures every bite is flavorful.
- Garlic: Minced garlic gives a pungent, spicy kick to the burger patty – an essential in many recipes for depth of flavor.
- Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika: These spices enhance the flavor profile, adding warmth, smokiness, and a bit of spice to the black bean burger.
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Tomato Paste: The tomato paste lends some tanginess and increases the savory, umami flavors in the burger patty.
- Olive Oil: Used for cooking the patties, allowing them to have a golden and crispy exterior.
- Burger Buns: The casings for your patty and toppings. The soft, fluffy buns provide balance to the hearty and richly-flavored black bean patty.
How to make Black Bean Burger
- Dry and mash black beans
- Add breadcrumbs, spices, egg, and tomato paste, then combine.
- Shape into 6 to 8 patties.
- Adjust mixture consistency if needed.
- Heat oil and cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden.
- Serve on a bun with toppings.
How do I prevent the patties from falling apart?
Start by patting your beans dry before mashing, as this will remove any excess moisture that could cause the patties to crumble. A good binder, such as eggs, is essential to ensure the mixture holds together.
The type of breadcrumbs you use can also make a difference. If your mixture is too wet, adding more breadcrumbs can help. Conversely, if the mix is too dry, you can add a splash of water. Finding the right balance is critical in maintaining the stability of your patties.
When shaping the patties, make sure they are compact and hold together well. This will help prevent them from falling apart during cooking. Also, it’s important to heat your oil sufficiently in a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat before adding the patties.
By following these steps and suggestions, you can ensure that your black bean patties maintain their shape and don’t fall apart.
What to pair with Black Bean Burger
- Sweet Potato Fries: Pairing crunchy sweet potato fries along with your burger is always a good idea.
- Coleslaw: A side of coleslaw adds a cool and refreshing element to balance the burger’s flavors.
- Corn on the Cob: Whether grilled or boiled, corn on the cob is a classic side to serve with black bean burger.
- Mixed Green Salad: A light salad with a vinaigrette dressing complements the heartiness of the burger.
- Guacamole and Chips: Try this Mexican twist – creamy avocado dip with crispy tortilla chips. You’d love it.
- Onion Rings: Crispy onion rings are a popular choice to pair with burgers.
- Potato Salad: Creamy Potato salad is a lovely side to pair with Black Bean Burger.
- Fruit Salad: A mix of sweet fruits that’s a fresh and tasty contrast to your burger.
To keep black bean burgers fresh, let them cool down. Then wrap each burger in plastic or foil so they don’t get freezer burn or stick together. Put the wrapped burgers in a container or a bag that seals tightly. They can stay in the freezer for about three months.
When you want to eat them, take them out and let them thaw in the fridge, then cook them up as you like. This way, you can have tasty black bean burgers ready to enjoy whenever you want.
- Make sure to drain and dry the black beans before using them in the recipe. This will help remove any excess water and give the burgers a better texture.
- If the mixture seems too wet, add more breadcrumbs to help bind it together.
- These burgers can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Simply reheat in a skillet or in the microwave before serving.
- Achieve a crispy exterior by ensuring the pan is hot before cooking.
- Toast your buns for extra flavor and texture.
- Get creative with toppings! Think pickled onions, roasted sweet potato slices, or even a dollop of guacamole.
Tools needed to make Black Bean Burgers
- Mixing Bowl: For combining and mixing the burger ingredients.
- Fork or Potato Masher: To mash the black beans.
- Knife and Cutting Board: For chopping any vegetables or toppings you plan to add.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: For precise measurement of ingredients like breadcrumbs and spices.
- Pan or Grill: To cook the burgers. You can use a non-stick frying pan or an outdoor grill.
- Spatula: For flipping and handling the burger patties during cooking.
Other delicious recipes to try!
- Delicious and Juicy Homemade Hamburger Patties
- Simple And Delicious Chicken Patties Recipe
- The Ultimate Homemade Sloppy
Simple Black Bean Burger Recipe
- 2 15 ounces each cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or oatmeal as per preference
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- oil for cooking
- 6-8 burger buns
- lettuce, tomato slices, avocado, red onion, mayo, or any other preferred toppings
- Pat the beans dry with a paper towel and pour into a large bowl.
- Mash the black beans with a fork or potato masher leaving some beans unmashed for added texture.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, chopped red onion, cilantro or parsley, minced garlic, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, egg, salt, black pepper, and tomato paste. Mix until everything is combined.
- Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a patty, ensuring they hold together well – If the mixture is too wet, add additional breadcrumbs. If it's too dry, you can add a splash of water.
- Heat the oil in a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the burger patties in the skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Place each black bean burger on a bun and top with your favorite burger toppings.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.