This delicacy needs little to no introduction as most of us are really familiar with it but this recipe will probably be the easiest and the best crispy fried chicken legs recipe ever because it is less intimidating when compared to most fried chicken recipes, it uses few simple ingredients, and the result is an extremely crispy and crunchy skin, with a meat that is moist and tender.
Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
Chicken drumsticks are always a favorite around here. You’ll love the delightful flavor of these fried drumsticks seasoned with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper with a dash of chili powder for added flavor.
These fried chicken drumsticks are an excellent addition to any picnic, family gathering, weeknight dinner, or a special treat. You can serve this fried chicken recipe as a standalone treat or with your favorite sides for dinner like potato salad, coleslaw, mashed potatoes, and so much more.
If you prefer to use an air fryer for this recipe, don’t worry I’ve got you covered. I have an amazing recipe for air-fried chicken drumsticks here! You can also check other delicious chicken leg recipes here, Explore and keep enjoying!
How Do I make A Flavorful Crispy Fried Chicken Legs?
This recipe uses whole milk and eggs as wet ingredients. However, you can use buttermilk in place of whole milk if that’s what you prefer.
The dry ingredients are flour and spices and there’s no need to marinate the chicken as long as you season your milk mixture with salt and black pepper. If you don’t season it, you will miss out on flavor. Trust me on this!
If you follow these easy steps your fried chicken will turn out into an outer shell that you love biting into, with a moist and tender interior so be sure not to skip any step.
- First, make a mixture of milk, eggs, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Next, combine the flour with the spices. Mix well.
- Place the legs inside the dry ingredient mixture and coat well. Then transfer it to the milk mixture. Coat well.
- Finally, transfer the legs back to the bowl of dry ingredients and coat well until the legs become thickly coated. At this point, the chicken is ready to be fried.
- If you want the pieces extra crispy, redip in the egg-milk mixture and seasoned flour.
- Fry these battered chicken legs preheated oil in it. The oil in the pan must reach 350 degrees for optimal crisping of the fried chicken batter. You’ll turn the chicken over partway through the frying process until the entire drumstick is crisp and browned—about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Be sure to place your fried chicken on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the extra oil and allow your fried chicken rest for 1-2 minutes before serving.
How long does it take to fry Chicken Legs?
An average chicken leg will take approximately 12 to 15 minutes when deep pan-frying, but it’s also advisable to check the chicken’s internal temperature to ensure the meat is cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Why is my fried chicken not crispy?
There’s nothing worse than having a plan to enjoy some deep-fried chicken only to find out the chicken isn’t crispy at all. If this happens, then you had your oil too cold.
It’s important to maintain the proper temperature of 350-degree oil to get your crispy fried chicken drumsticks the right crisp texture.
If the heat is too low it will take longer for your chicken to cook and, in turn, leave you with oily, over- dense chicken that will not leave your taste buds happy.
- I used peanut oil because of its high smoke point and…well….taste and I will advise you to do the same or better still use oils like Grapeseed, Canola, Corn, Olive, Sesame seed or Sunflower.
- I know there are two teams when it comes to washing or not washing your Chicken before cooking it – This is totally up to you.
- Feel free to use any Chicken part of your choice as long as it is cut into small portions – When the Chicken piece is too big, it will take a longer time to cook and the outer part might become overly browned before it becomes fully cooked on the inside.
This post first appeared on cheflolaskitctchen.com on May 12th 2016
Other Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Easy baked chicken breasts
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Whole Roasted Chicken
- Baked Crispy Chicken Wings
- Peri-Peri Chicken
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Air fryer Chicken legs
- Chicken Fricassée
Crispy Fried Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 lb chicken legs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or to taste
- 1½ to 2 teaspoons salt or add to taste
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Enough oil for deep frying
- Combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, and salt in a large bowl and set it aside.
- Whisk together the milk, egg, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Dip each chicken piece first in the seasoned flour, transfer it to the milk and egg mixture, and finally back into the flour.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F and gently place the coated chicken drumsticks inside the hot oil. Fry on medium heat until golden brown and crispy on the outside and fully cooked inside. Flip the drumsticks between each fry cycle.
- Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen