Peri peri chicken or ‘chicken peri peri’ as fondly called by Nigerians is a delicious and spicy recipe which is made from a combination of peppers, herbs, and spices. According to my research, the origin of this recipe is from Africa – Mozambique to be precise and Portugal – please correct me if I’m wrong, but today, it has captured the hearts of both young and old and it has spread its wings beyond the walls and corners of Africa and Portugal.
While putting up this recipe together I discovered that Stock cube is something that is not usually added but I decided to add 1 stock cube to my recipe because my Nigerian taste bud demanded it but feel free to omit it if you don’t want to use it.
I made my Chicken in Oven and it came out so well but the outdoor grill works just as well.
If your hands are very sensitive to hot pepper, then it’s good to use a glove when mixing the marinade with the chicken
Feel free to store any leftover marinade in the Freezer – it stores really well and use can it when next you need it.
Also feel free to adjust the spice level – I added 4 Birds eye chilies in my recipe which is the medium level of heat spice but you can reduce or increase the number of chilies you use depending on your heat tolerance level.
2 Chilies will be mild, 4 medium and 6 will be hot – Your choice!
How to make Nigerian style Peri Peri Chicken (Piri Piri Chicken)
- 13/4 pounds Chicken Leg quarters
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 4 Birds Eye Chillies more or less to your taste
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 small Onion
- 4 to 5 sprigs of fresh Thyme or 1 tablespoon of dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1/4 of a Cup of Vinegar
- The Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 Stock cube optional
- 1- To make the marinade, blend all the Ingredients together (without the Chicken of course)
- 2- Pour enough Marinade over the Chicken in a large Bowl - (make sure your chicken is thawed). Then use your hands to massage the marinade into the chicken then cover the Bowl and leave in the fridge for at least 1 Hour or overnight - the longer the better.
- 3- Arrange the Chicken in the Baking pan and pour the marinade in the Bowl over it. Then put it in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven.
- 4- After about 30 Minutes go cooking, flip it over and brush with more marinade and leave to cook for an additional 30 minutes and it's ready at this point but I love the ''char'' look on peri peri chicken so I grilled the Chicken (Skin side up) for an additional 3 minutes.
- 5- Serve and enjoy Hot or warm.
Other Chicken recipes