Ewa riro is a delicious one-pot Nigerian delicacy that is easy to prepare but yields a rich flavor. This is truly the best-stewed beans recipe that you will ever taste. Plus it’s incredibly economical.
Beans Stew is a favorite dinner in our house, it’s warming, hearty, tasty, and quite filling. We usually serve it with Garri (cassava flakes), fresh bread, or fried ripe plantains. However, it pairs so well with plain boiled rice, and cornbread.
My essential ”must add” to Ewa riro is crayfish or dried shrimps however, here is a little trick I learned: I discovered that adding smoked turkey or smoked fish elevates the flavor of this meal. If you are a bacon lover, you can add that as well. Trust me you will get hooked when you try it!
What is Ewa Riro? (Stewed Beans – For those who don’t know)
Ewa riro which is also referred to as beans porridge or stewed beans is a Nigerian delicacy from the Yoruba speaking part of the country. It is made by boiling beans until it’s tender, then we stew it up. Yes, it’s that easy. ”Ewa” means ”Beans” and ”Riro” means ”stirred” so ”Ewa riro” literally means ”stirred Beans” but this time around it’s beans stirred in a type of stew or simply put ”stewed Beans”
Blackeyed peas are an important source of protein and fiber in Nigeria and we’ve got a lot of Beans recipes like:
- Moin moin (steamed beans pudding)
- Akara (Beans Fritters)
- Rice and Beans
- Ewa Aganyin (Mashed Beans)
- and much more.
All delicious no matter how you prepare it!
Ingredients for making Ewa Riro
- Black-eyed peas – Though these are referred to as peas but they are actually beans in the real sense and we know and refer to them as beans in Nigeria. The Honey beans can also be used in place of black-eyed peas.
- Bell peppers and scotch bonnet – This is what makes our stew for the beans.
- Onion – An essential aromatic that boosts the flavor of the beans. You can use any variety – white, yellow, or red.
- Scotch bonnet – Habanero peppers
- Salt – For flavor. Use to taste.
- Bouillon Powder – Great for boosting the flavor of the dish
- Palm oil – Traditionally palm oil is used for this recipe and I wouldn’t exchange that for any other oil.
- Smoked Turkey, Crayfish, or dried shrimps – Gives this dish a deeper depth of flavor
How To cook Ewa Riro (Beans Porridge)
When making ewa riro, you can either use black-eyed peas or honey beans. The honey beans are quite sweet hence the name ”honey beans”. However, for this recipe, I used the black-eyed peas because I prefer it to the honey beans.
Pick (sort) the Beans and rinse: To prepare this delicacy, it’s important to start with clean Beans. Try as much as possible to This is so important because chewing on stones or debris while eating is not a pleasant experience at all. Rinse out the Beans a couple of times and drain.
Cook the beans: Pour the beans into a large pot. Add the peppers, onion, and smoked turkey wings. Cook until the Beans is very tender. This should take about 1 hour to 1 hour to 1hour 15 minutes. It will even cook faster if you use a pressure pot. The crockpot also works well.
Stew and season the beans: Once the Beans are well cooked and soft remove the peppers, onion, and turkey from the beans. Blend the peppers and add back to the beans. Debone the turkey wings and cut the meat into bits and return that also to the beans. Add the salt, crayfish, seasoning powder, and palm oil. Stir well. Cover it up and leave to simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes and your beans porridge is ready!
Watch how to make it:
Why cook the peppers with the beans?
I have always never liked the taste of raw peppers in my beans that’s the reason why I like to boil my peppers with the beans. This is to ensure that I get rid of that raw pepper taste in the Beans.
What type of Beans is best for Ewa Riro?
The main type of beans that are used for this recipe is the Nigerian Honey Beans or Black-eyed peas for making this meal but I am using the Black-eyed peas for this recipe.
- It’s simply because it is believed that this reduces the gas in the beans which in turn gives room for easier digestibility.
- Feel free to use a pressure cooker if you have one and this will shorten your cook time. I also like to use the crockpot in preparing my beans especially when I know I will be out for a long time.
- 3 Cups black-eyed peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 roasted Turkey wing
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 Tbsp crayfish
- 1/2 Tbsp seasoning powder
- 1/4 cup palm oil or to taste
- 6 to 9 cups of water
- salt to taste
- Pick out the debris in the Beans. Then rinse well and drain.
- Put the beans inside the pot together with the bell pepper, habanero, onion, and smoked turkey wings. add water and leave to cook until the beans become tender. about one hour. a little more or less.
- Remove the bell pepper, habanero, and onion Blend and add to the beans.
- Remove the smoked turkey, debone, cut the meat into small pieces, and put it back inside the beans.
- Add the salt, seasoning powder (seasoning cube), crayfish, and palm oil. Add water if necessary and stir well until everything is well combined.
- Leave to simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes and serve with Plantains, Bread, or Garri. Enjoy!
If you make this Ewa riro recipe (stewed beans), I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen