The African Sausage Rolls is a very popular snack in west Africa. It is made up of a pastry dough wrapped around a well-seasoned sausage Meat. The pastry used for this rolls is very similar to the one used for the Nigerian Meat Pie or Chicken Pie.
If you lived in Nigeria in the 90’s you will definitely know about the gala brand of sausage rolls which is usually sold by street vendors and often time when we buy this gala sausage we tend to buy a popular drink called la casera alongside with it and by the time you are done eating this you will have a satisfied feeling as though you’ve just eaten a full course meal.
For a more delicate pastry I used a combination of Butter and Margarine but feel free to use only Margarine for this, it works very well too.
The Sausage meat I used as been seasoned from the store so I used just one stock cube to step down the salt level (it’s so salty) but feel free to season the sausage to your taste.
African Sausage Rolls
- 2-1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 4 Tbsp Margarine
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 6-8 Tbsp Water
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Onions Small finely chopped
- Cayenne Pepper To Taste
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Add the flour, Baking powder, Salt cold margarine and butter in a bowl then use the tip of your finger to rub the fat into the flour until a crumbly texture is formed.
- Add a little water at a time until a stiff dough is formed.
- knead the dough for a few seconds to a minute and set aside – don’t overwork the dough!
- Season the sausage with the stock cube and mix it together thoroughly
- Now roll out the pie dough to a rectangle of about 1/6th to 1/8th of an inch thick and trim off the rough edges (please watch the video for this)
- scoop in the sausage meat and form it into a log then roll it over until it overlaps a little bit (watch video) and trims off the excess pastry.
- cut the rolled Pie into the desired length and arrange the rolls into a pre-greased and floured pan and you can make a decoration over the rolls by using a knife to make a mark on the pie (watch video) or use a fork to poke it.
- Now make the Egg wash by whisking together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water and brush this over the surface of the sausage Rolls and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm and enjoy.