Rice and Beans – Rice and Beans is a staple in many cultures around the world and Nigeria is not an exception. Though the classic Nigerian Rice and Beans is not eaten plain, it’s usually served with different sauces and stews but I usually serve mine with Ata dindin or the Nigerian Stew.
Watch the video on how to make the Rice and Beans below:
Notes for making the Rice and Beans
Rice and Beans recipe
- 1 Cup Beans
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1 small Onion diced
- 6 to 7 Cups of water
- Pick your Beans to rid it of any dirt and soak it in enough water to totally submerge the Beans and leave it for a minimum of 3 hours on the countertop or leave it overnight in the Fridge. Read note 3 above
- Rinse the Beans and transfer it to a Pot, add the Onion and Water, cover it up and leave to cook for about 50 minutes or till you can easily crush it with your finger.
- Rinse the Rice thoroughly until the water comes out clear stir in rice and Salt with the Beans, add Water if necessary.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 20 minutes without removing the lid.
- Fold the Rice and Beans together gently and serve with your desired Sauce or Stew.
- Enjoy your Nigerian Rice and Beans!