Like Peanut Butter? You’re going to love this peanut butter soup recipe. This soup is not only easy to make but incredibly delicious! Your family and friends will be proud of you.
Peanut Butter Soup
This is probably the easiest peanut soup you’ve ever tried, but don’t be deceived by how easy this is because it is incredibly delicious.
I grew up eating the indigenous version of this groundnut soup (peanut soup) using freshly blended roasted peanuts and adding some indigenous ingredients oh mine, the soup is good. However, I also discovered that making peanut soup with peanut butter and some pantry staples is just as good. Right now, I don’t know which one I prefer most. I just cook anyone I’m in the mood for.
Feel free to check out my authentic African style peanut soup here.
Ingredients for making peanut Soup
So here’s what you need for the soup:
Chicken – I used the chicken thighs, but chicken drumsticks will work just fine. Chicken breast is also good!
peanut butter – I used the store-bought peanut butter made with just peanuts and salt. Please stay away from the ones with more than two ingredients. It will ruin the taste of the soup.
Onion and garlic – these are the secret ingredients that add extra savouriness into the soup flavor!!
Stock/broth – As with most soups, chicken broth is your main base. I love using homemade chicken broth, but store-bought works perfectly too. For tastier peanut soup, don’t skip the broth!
Tomatoes – Fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes will work for this. I also added a bit of tomato paste for color and flavor.
Pepper – My choice of pepper in this soup is habanero pepper. Red chili, cayenne pepper, Jalapeno pepper or any other hot pepper can also be used.
Vegetables – I used Spinach, but you have a wide range of options. Potatoes and carrots are good options.
Watch how it’s made:
How To Make Peanut Soup
When you make peanut soup, you’re working with a concentration of peanut tastes. Therefore a little goes a long way in your soup to create a perfectly balanced soup!
For a vegetarian version, feel free to skip the chicken and use meat replacements or root vegetables like potatoes and carrots.
Replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
- Blend – To make this easy peanut soup, you will start by blending the Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions. Garlic and Ginger.
- Pan-fry the Chicken – Go ahead and season the chicken and pan-fry until the chicken is well-browned on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Caramelize the Onions – To caramelize the onion, you will allow them to cook in the oil (used for frying the chicken), stirring only occasionally for about 5 minutes until they are super soft and lightly golden brown.
- After that, Prepare the sauce by adding the blended tomatoes, onions. Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes (a little more or less). Now stir in the seasoning. Stir well to bring out the flavors!
- Next, add chicken broth and Peanut butter. Use a wooden spoon to stir well until the peanut butter dissolves in the sauce.
- Cook – Return the pan-fried chicken inside the sauce. Continue to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or till the chicken is well cooked and the soup becomes thickened to your likeness.
What is Peanut Soup?
Peanut soup is made from peanut butter. It is made by combining peanut butter or blended roasted peanuts with stock and tomato sauce.
What to serve with Peanut Butter soup
- The purpose of frying the chicken is just to get it browned. It will not get done with 10 minutes of frying. The remaining cooking process will take place inside the peanut soup.
- You can add some carrots or celery to increase the veggie content.
- I used two small habanero peppers in this soup recipe, feel free to use more or less depending on your heat tolerance level.
- For a vegetarian version, feel free to skip the chicken and use meat replacements or root vegetables like potatoes and carrots.
- Replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Other delicious soups and stews you might want to try:
- simple African chicken Pepper Soup
- West African Peanut soup (Maafe)
- Goat Meat Pepper soup
- Catfish Stew
- Banga Soup
Easy Peanut Butter Soup
- 1/2 cup Peanut butter unsweetened
- 6 tbsp oil
- 2 Habanero pepper
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 plum Tomatoes
- 2 Habanero
- 1 Onion divided
- 2 inch Ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 lb Chicken
- 2 to 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tsp Bouillon powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend the tomatoes, half onion, and pepper, ginger, and garlic. Set aside
- Season chicken with paprika, salt, and black pepper. Set aside
- Preheat the oil and fry the seasoned chicken about 5 minutes on each side or till the chicken is well browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the diced onions in the oil and fry till translucent.
- Add the blended Tomato sauce and cook for about 6 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is well reduced and the raw tomato taste is gone.
- Add the peanut paste and chicken stock, and stir well to dissolve.
- Season with salt, pepper, seasoning powder, and thyme.
- Return the chicken back into the sauce and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is well cooked you are satisfied with the thickness of the soup. Enjoy
If you make this Peanut Butter Soup, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen