You will love this Jamaican Oxtail stew that features fall apart tender oxtails, carrots, and Potatoes. It’s comforting, delicious and super easy to make – this will surely satisfy your cravings for hearty comfort food.
JAMAICAN OXTAIL STEW
This is probably my favorite way to eat oxtails. It requires gently braising the meat over slow heat. This process will not only soften the connective tissues of the meat but it will also brown the meat nicely and give the stew an extra flavor boost.
Oxtails definitely deserve more attention than they get!
How to make the Jamaican Oxtail stew
This oxtail stew is an uncomplicated one-pot recipe. It turns up in many different versions that slightly vary in spicing that it becomes difficult to discern which among them is authentic. and I dare to add my own over the top version to the list.
- Wash the oxtails
I wash my meat with vinegar and water. If you are not in the same school of thought with me on this, please skip and move on to the next step.
- Season and leave to marinate
In order to achieve a flavorful coating, it’s best to use the right combination of spices and oil. Give the meat enough time to marinate.
Note: Using the wrong bath of spices and aromatics will result in a bad tasting meat.
- Brown the oxtails
Take time to brown the meat until the meat gives off a sweet roasted aroma. This will enhance its flavor.
Combine all the other ingredients together and cook till the oxtails become nice and tender.
Oxtail stew is often served with White rice but can be eaten with rice and beans, Spaghetti, Couscous, and more…
- I used baby carrots, however, you can use large carrots but be sure to cut them into small uniform pieces with the potatoes so that they can cook evenly.
- You can substitute the roots with any other vegetables like sweet potatoes, squash or any other vegetables of your choice or leave the vegetables out and serve as is.
Watch Oxtail Stew on Youtube:
Best Oxtail Stew (Jamaican Style)
- 4 Lb Oxtail
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- Salt To Taste
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tsp Curry powder
- 2 Tsp seasoning powder
- 3 Green Onions chopped
- 1 Cup baby Carrot
- 1/2 pound Potato cut into chunks
- 6 Cups beef stock
- 2 Diced Tomatoes Diced
- 1 Red bell pepper Diced
- 1 Onion Diced (Large)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Cayenne Pepper to taste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- Water as needed
- 4 Tbsp Tomato paste
- Put the oxtails in a large bowl and add the thyme, Curry powder, Paprika, seasoning powder, Scotch bonnet, Garlic, Oil, and salt to taste. and rub all the seasoning together with the meat. Let it marinate for at least 20minutes or overnight
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Once heated, add the Onions and fry till it becomes translucent. Sir in the bay leaves until and the aroma pops out.
- Place the oxtails in a single layer inside the pot. Sear and turn occasionally until the oxtail is uniformly golden brown on all sides.
- Add the Tomato paste, Cayenne pepper, Tomatoes, Red bell pepper, onion, and stock. Stir everything together and leave to boil for about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or cook till the meat becomes really tender. Checking on it and stirring it about every 20 minutes (to prevent it from burning).
- Add the potatoes and carrots and leave to cook for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes or till the potatoes become tender.
- Garnish with Green Onions and serve immediately over a plate of Rice while still very hot.
Thanks for stopping by. Let’s connect!
If you make this oxtail stew recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen