Baked Jerk Chicken Wings
You’ll love the heat and flavor of this fiery marinade, which is a unique combination of herbs, spices, and peppers that comes together perfectly to give a flavorful punch. It is really different from all the Wings I have ever tried.
The flavor is really bold and unique, and it goes well with even tiny taste buds (Yep my kids loved it) and makes for an excellent dinner or appetizer. I also like to pair this with Jamaican Rice and Peas.
What is Jamaican Jerk Spice?
You can start here just in case you are new to this recipe: Jerk Spice refers to a complex blend of sweet, pungent, and assertive seasonings which usually include warm spices like Ginger, Cinnamon, and allspice together with an acid like vinegar, Lemon juice or lime juice but in my recipe, I went for orange juice because of it’s sweet and tangy flavor.
When we talk about the Jerk, what comes to mind is heat and spice. You don’t need to be scared, because you can easily turn down the heat if you are not in tune with it.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Jamaican Jerk Chicken is one of the most popular culinary export in the world, and it’s a good way to get yourself familiar with the world of ethnic cuisine. You can make your very own delicious Jerk spice blends and marinades at home and, you can also prepare the Jerk both in the oven or the outdoor grill.
Jamaican meals are simple to make and full of flavor and making these classic meals does not have to be intimidating or time-consuming. In fact, by learning the basics of ethnic cooking, you will be able to create delicious meals with ease and feel comfortable adapting recipes to suit your taste.
You can also try these Jamaican recipes to get yourself acquainted with the delicious Jamaican foods: Jamaican Beef Patties which is also referred to as Jamaican meat pies or this amazing Jamaican style Oxtail stew.
How do you make jerk sauce from scratch?
You’ll love the heat and flavor of this fiery marinade which is a unique combination of herbs, spices, and peppers that comes together perfectly to give a flavorful punch.
The traditional way to make jerk chicken is to dry-rub or wet marinate your chicken with a hot spice mixture that’s referred to as Jamaican jerk spice.
To make the wet marinade, all you have to do is to blend together the onions, Green Onion, Ginger, Brown Sugar, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cinnamon, Thyme, Garlic Powder, Habanero pepper, Paprika, Salt, Cooking Oil, soy sauce, and Orange Juice/lime/or lemon.
If you don’t have all the required fresh ingredients for the wet marinade, you can use the dry rub, which is equally as good. You can check out my recipe for the Jamaican spice here. It’s always good to have it handy!
Is jerk chicken spicy?
The flavor of jerk chicken can be spicy, but it doesn’t have to be. The habanero in this jerk chicken wings recipe can give your jerk chicken a bit of a spicy flavor, but you’ll find that the brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon tends to offset the spice a little bit.
I removed the habanero seeds in this recipe to dull the wings’ spiciness, but you can keep the seeds in the habanero if you want to have these chicken wings knock your socks off.
What do you eat with jerk wings?
There are many things that you can eat with jerk wings. Traditionally speaking, you can serve Rice and Peas, but it pairs so well with roasted sweet potatoes, fried plantains. I’ve also served jerk chicken wings with coconut rice, and I enjoyed every bit of it.
If you want something for yourself, your family, or friends this tropical treat is a good way to go. Jerk it up!
Fun Fact about the Jamaican Jerk
- When we talk about the Jerk Chicken, what comes to mind is heat and spice. You don’t need to be scared, because, you can easily turn down the heat if you are not in tune with it.
- It is very important to marinate the Chicken, and it has to be thoroughly cooked but not overcooked.
You may also like our favorite Jamaican Recipes
- Delicious Jamaican Rice And Peas
- Jamaican Oxtail Stew
- Creamy Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Jamaican Beef Patties
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings Recipe
- 3 Pounds Chicken wings
- 1 cup onions diced
- 3 Green Onion stalks
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger diced
- 1 tablespoon brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Habanero I removed the seed - you can add more if you like it hot
- 1 Teaspoon smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon cooking Oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- Blend all the ingredients together (except the wings of course)
- Put the Wings in a Bowl and thoroughly rub the marinade on the Wings (don't throw away the Left over marinade).
- Cover the Marinated Wings with a plastic wrap and put it in the Fridge to marinade for 8 hours or leave overnight in the Fridge
- After 8 hours, line and spray the baking Pan and arrange the Wings on the Pan then brush with some of the remaining Jerk marinade.
- Put the Wings in a 450 °F preheated Oven for for 45 to 50 minutes (turn halfway through and rub with the jerk marinade) and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. ENJOY!