This is an incredibly easy, but delicious recipe. The uniqueness of this jollof rice lies in the roasting of the bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. This brings an additional depth of flavor to the meal. If you’re looking for a Jollof Rice recipe that will be the star of the show, this is it!
This is for those who don’t know – Jollof rice is a west African one-pot side dish that is present in almost every party you attend. It’s very simple and inexpensive and the rich texture and taste of this rice is simply amazing.
Roasted Peppers Beef Jollof Rice
This is a great basic rice recipe that is easy to prepare. The only difference between my preparation of this rice and my classic Nigerian jollof rice recipe is that I roasted the peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic before using them to cook the rice. This makes a TREMENDOUS difference to the final presentation.
Well, I also used basmati rice and beef stock to give it a rich beefy taste.
Frequently asked questions about jollof rice
What type of basmati rice works for this jollof rice?
To get the best out of your jollof rice, it’s advisable to get a good brand of basmati rice. It makes a huge difference in the final texture. I personally prefer to use the sella parboiled Extra Long Basmati Rice. It works so well.
How to get a perfectly cooked jollof rice with well-separated grains
The best thing that can happen to your jollof rice is to have well-separated grains. Mushy Jollof is not pleasant at all. In order to achieve this, there are some things that should be noted.
Once the rice is mixed with the sauce cover it up immediately with a tight-fitting lid or with a foil paper and then a lid. This will make sure the steam stays trapped in the pot. this steam is what is needed to soften the rice.
Next, you need to leave the rice to cook for about five minutes on a medium to low heat. After that turn the heat to low and cook for 20 more minutes. Try not to open it, peek or stir during this 20 minutes. Opening the rice constantly will make it sticky and clumped together.
After that, you can check it, if there is still more liquid, cook till the liquid is dry and if the rice is not soft enough, continue to steam it for another few minutes until it’s done to your satisfaction.
Yes, your rice will burn a little bit, but what is party style Jollof without the burning! I hope this helps?
Can you freeze Jollof Rice?
Absolutely! Store any leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Watch How it’s made here:
When cooking Jollof Rice in general, it is advisable to select the best variety of Peppers for this recipe in order to get that authentic taste. I will suggest going with Pimento pepper.
It’s okay to add vegetables like sweet corn, green beans, sweet peas, diced bell peppers.
I have a convenient jollof rice recipe here (oven baked Jollof Rice recipe) Check it out.
I’ve got a ton of other delicious rice recipes on this site, feel free to check some of my picks
- Mushroom rice
- Classic Jollof Rice
- Coconut Shrimp fried rice
- Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
- Easy but delicious one-pot chicken and rice
Beef Party-style Jollof Rice
- 3 Cups basmati rice
- 1/2 Cup cooking Oil
- 3 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 3 Cups beef stock
- 2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 2 Tsp Thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1 Onion Medium-sized sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 11/2 Tbsp Seasoning powder
- black pepper to taste
- For the sauce:
- 2 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Tomatoes Plum
- 1 to 3 Scotch bonnet
- 1 Onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2- inch ginger
- For the beef
- 1.5 lb beef
- 1 tsp curry
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 minced habanero
- 2 tsp seasoning powder
- 1 small Onion diced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Drizzle some oil on the peppers and Roast the bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, habanero pepper, and garlic in the oven 400F for 15 to 20 minutes. Leave to cool a bit, blend with the ginger, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season beef with salt, black pepper, rosemary, curry powder, and seasoning powder. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon oil in a pan, add the seasoned beef. Mix well and leave to cook for ten minutes.
- Add one cup of water to the boiling beef and leave to cook again for another 10 to 15 minutes or till the meat becomes tender. Remove the meat from pot and keep the stock separately.
- In the same pot, add the remaining oil and fry the beef on both sides till browned-about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Pour the sliced onions in the oil and cook till tender about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and fry well. About 3 to 5 minutes
- Add the blended sauce, curry powder, thyme, seasoning powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Wash the rice until the water comes out clear and drain. Stir the rice with the sauce and add the stock and water.
- Cover the pot tightly with a foil paper and then with the lid. ook for 5 minutes on medium to high heat, then turn the heat down to low and cook for another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add stir in the beef. Serve hot.
If you make this Basmati Beef Jollof Rice, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen