Garlic Roasted Potatoes – These garlicky, freshly seasoned potatoes with infused rosemary and thyme flavor are the perfect compliment to just about any meal you make, and with very little prep time. Classic, simple, and delicious!
Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Whether it’s for a simple family night at home or your neighborhood dinner party, these garlic roasted potatoes are sure to please everyone at the table.
You will have no trouble finding all these inexpensive ingredients at your local grocery store, and you may already have most of them at home!
You can expect a prep time of 20-30 minutes, but the prep can be done hours beforehand if desired.
Cook time can also be shortened by cutting the potatoes into quarters (especially if using larger potatoes).
How to make these Garlic Potatoes
The beauty of this recipe is that there is no “right way” to do it—make it yours!
- Garlic-lover? Add that extra clove or two.
- Not so big on thyme or rosemary? Skip and use basil instead.
- Salt them as much or as little as you need.
- If using red potatoes or the Yukon gold potatoes, you don’t need to peel skin. Leave it on for added texture and flavor.
- If using russet potatoes, you may peel the skin off the potatoes beforehand, if desired.
- You truly cannot go wrong!
What Kind of potatoes Should I Be Roasting?
I used a combination of red and white potatoes for this recipe, but in truth, this is also up to your own taste!
Potatoes certainly vary in flavor and texture (for example, Russets are among the starchiest while Fingerlings are quite waxy), so if you already know of a personal favorite, that is probably best!
Remember, if you are not roasting a red or white potato, it is best to peel the skin off. If looking for a safe bet, Yukon gold potatoes are a popular “middle of the road” choice and are available everywhere.
What to serve with these roasted potatoes
These golden-brown beauties will go with almost any meal from roast chicken to oven grilled tilapia to baked turkey wings and more. The garlic flavor compliments so many proteins that it can always have a place on the dinner table.
- 2 lbs. red potatoes
- 1 garlic head
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them with a paper towel, and cut the potatoes in half.
- Place in a bowl and add the olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper, and paprika; toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with spices.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking pan and spread them out into one layer.
- Meanwhile, cut off about a quarter-inch from the top of the garlic head to expose some of the cloves inside.
- Place the garlic on a piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in the foil, and place it on the baking tray with the potatoes.
- Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until browned and crisp.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven. Unravel the foil and squeeze out the baked garlic in a small pan.
- Mash the baked garlic with a fork until smooth, add 2 tbsps. of olive oil and 5 sprigs of fresh thyme or a stalk of rosemary.
- Heat the small pan for about a minute or two and pour the garlic mixture over the potatoes. Mix until all the potatoes are well coated with the garlic mixture.
- Serve immediately.
If you make this Garlic Roasted Potatoes, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen