Easy Oven Grilled Tilapia – Looking for a wonderfully delicious main dish that is inexpensive, light and healthy? This easy Oven Grilled Tilapia is one to look out for. The seasonings used in this recipe comes together so well to create a luscious and bursting flavor.
Oven Grilled Tilapia
Tilapia Fish has a wide appeal because of its mild taste. This makes it easy for any seasoning added to it to shine through. This recipe is so simple but satisfyingly delicious. It is very easy to whip up and you can have it on a bed of salad, white Rice, Stewed Spinach, Yam, Plantain or any meal that you deem fit.
Why I love this grilled Tilapia Fish
- It’s lean
- Requires little prep work before baking
- It’s a good source of protein and omega-3 acids,
- It’s low in calories
- Most of all it’s very inexpensive.
Tilapia Fish is a very popular Delicacy in West Africa. According to history and till date, Artisanal fishing in West Africa has been of major importance not for local consumption but also for job in order to make an extra source of income and livelihood. Because of the abundance of Tilapia Fish in Africa, we have derived so many ways of preparing this Fish and this varies from including frying, steaming, stir-frying, drying and even more, but grilling is a healthy and time-efficient way to prepare Tilapia.
I have used the African Nutmeg in this recipe, I’d rather you skip it if you don’t have it than use the regular Nutmeg. This is because the taste of the regular Nutmeg is different from the African Nutmeg. You don’t have to worry, your grilled Fish will still turn out DEELIICIOOUS!
Easy Oven Grilled Tilapia
- 1 Tilapia Fish large
- 1/2 Tsp Curry powder
- 2 Sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 Scotch Bonnet
- 1 Onion Small
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Inch Ginger Root
- 2-1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- 1 African Nutmeg
- Remove the dirt from the fish and wash it with salt and water or lime and water and pat it dry with a paper towel then set it aside.
- To make the Marinade, combine all the ingredients together in a blender and blend till it becomes a smooth paste. Pour it inside a bowl and set it aside.
- Make about 3 deep cut or more on the fish depending on how big your fish is, then begin to brush the marinade over the fish, make sure you reach every corner baste every corner of the fish with the marinade including the deep cut.
- Cover up the fish and place it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or overnight. This will allow the Marinade to penetrate deep inside the Fish.
- Remove the Fish from the Fridge, uncover the foil paper then rub it again with some Marinade and place it in a 350°F preheated Oven for the first 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, flip it to the other side and rub it with some marinade again. Then leave it to cook for another 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes is complete, flip it to the first side again and rub it with the remaining marinade. Then leave it in the Oven for another 5 to 10 minutes depending on how brown you want the Fish to be.
- I used Habanero pepper in this recipe but you can substitute with 2 tsp of Cayenne/Red Pepper Flakes (or use to Taste)
- The African Nutmeg can be substituted with the regular nutmeg but in this case you will need to use about 1/2 Tsp of grated Nutmeg.
WATCH THE DETAILED, VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE THE OVEN GRILLED TILAPIA BELOW:
If you make this Easy Oven Grilled Tilapia, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen