Pita bread is a type of flatbread which is a staple of the middle east. It is commonly referred to as Khubz in Arabic but it is commonly known as Pita bread in other parts of the world. This flatbread is made from a soft yeasty dough similar to the pizza dough.
This homemade Pita bread requires just 5 ingredients and you will have a Soft, fluffy, pillowy texture and tasty bread. This makes a great accompaniment to Chicken Shawarma. This is my staple pita recipe!
This flatbread requires only 5 easy steps:
The sponge: In a bowl combine the Flour, yeast and sugar leave to froth for about 10 minutes. Make sure the yeast blooms before you continue with the recipe.
The flat bread dough: Mix the sponge with the flour and salt and mix till well combined. Knead the dough. knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Don’t over- knead, it’s not necessary. Also, try to avoid the temptation of adding excess flour to the dough. The dough has to be wet. The water in the dough will be converted into steam which will, in turn, cause the flatbread to puff up and form a pocket.
The Rise: This is the longest part of the recipe, but I’m happy because this part is not hands on.
Shape and second rise: Divide the dough into 8 parts and roll it out into a circular disc. The wider you roll it, the thinner your flatbread will be. I personally like to roll out to about 1/4” thickness. This will give my flatbread enough room to form a pocket when I cook it. Leave to rise again for 10 to 15 minutes
Bake: Who gets that thrill, when the bread balloons in the oven? Looks like what will get kids excited but somehow it gets me excited as well. If you follow the recipe you will end up with a beautifully puffed up pita bread.
This Pita bread just like any flat bread is very versatile and it makes a satisfying accompaniment to many meals such as hummus, sauces, stews, a base for pizza, a filling for sandwich or shawarma and many other.
Watch how to make Pita Bread
How to get your flatbread to form a pocket
There are a couple of things that should help you get a good pocket in your bread:
- Make sure you don’t leave your dough to form a crust at all. Keep it covered at all times.
- I usually roll out to about a 1/4″ to 1/8” thickness this gives enough room for pocketing.
- The pan you cook these on has to be very hot. I like to preheat my pan when I’m preheating my oven. If the pan is cold, it may slow down the formation of the pocket.
- A very hot Oven! I baked at 475°F.
[su_box title=”Other recipes you might like:” box_color=”#c12026″]
5-Ingredient Homemade Flat Bread
- 2.5 Cups Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup Water warm
- In a bowl, mix the water, yeast, and Wheat flour and leave for 5 to 10 minutes to froth.
- Add the flour, Salt, and Olive Oil to the mixture above and mix until a shaggy mass of dough is formed.
- Turn the dough unto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, supple and elastic. About 5 to 7 minutes
- Place the dough in a clean bowl and lightly oil the dough with some Olive oil turning to coat evenly. Cover it with a tight fitting lid and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or till doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough return to a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 8 parts and roll out each piece into a circle of about a quarter of an inch thickness. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and proof for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F with the skillet or baking pan in the oven and cook the dough for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side or till puffy. Flip to the other side and cook for 1 more minute.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel. This will keep the pita crust soft
Friday 27th of January 2023
Beautiful eady and straight forward
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Wednesday 1st of March 2023
Monday 1st of June 2020
Hello Lola, thanks for that. I’m having a challenge here in getting the pocket. Sometimes it burns as soon as it get in the oven. Please a need a little help with stopping that and getting the pocket right.
Flatbread or Pita Bread – How to Make Pita Bread | Chef Lola's Kitchen | GoDiva Recipes
Friday 21st of December 2018
[…] Flat Bread or Pita Bread ingredients can be found here: https://cheflolaskitchen.com/5-ingredient-homemade-flatbread/ […]
Tuesday 23rd of October 2018
Hi,Lola.great recipe.mine turned out well.pls could you do a video on tortillas. I need it to make your sharwama recipe.I can't find tortilla wraps in my area.thanks.
Thursday 25th of October 2018
Thanks for the feedback Favour. I will try and work on your request.