This Chicken Shawarma is packed with bright, delicious flavors and contrasting textures, and it takes just 30 minutes or less to make! Serve them in pita wraps, tortilla wraps or, lettuce cups for a low-carb option.
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
What is Shawarma?
A little Background
I first tasted shawarma, when I was in my early twenties and I immediately fell in love with it.
After I left home, I have been thinking about making my own homemade Shawarma. Not the middle eastern version but the type I ate in the days. I’ve finally gotten around to experimenting with my own recipe and documenting it.
After getting a hang of it, I served it to my family and they enjoyed the experience. That is why this recipe is very special to me and the rest of my family and I hope you like it as much as I do.
Sauces for Shawarma
While Tahini sauce or Yogurt sauce are the most common sauces used for Shawarma recipes, I will like to introduce you to a delectable easy to put together African Shawarma sauce (especially in Nigeria).
We use a mixture of Ketchup and Mayonnaise. A hint of pepper is kind of a must in making this Shawarma sauce, so I used a little bit of Cayenne pepper. Red pepper flakes will work just as well. If you don’t want that extra little heat, then you can skip it.
How do you eat Chicken Shawarma?
While wraps are the most common way to serve shawarma, they can also be used in Chicken salad, for sandwiches, served over Rice, and you can also snack on it!
Serving Shawarma in Crunchy Lettuce cups is also a delightful change of pace from the regular. It’s a good alternative for low carb eaters without compromise on taste.
You can see how I made my pita wraps here.
NOTES FOR CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE
- You can replace Chicken with either Turkey, Beef, Veal, Lamb, Goat or a mixture of two or more of these meats.
- You can also skip Hot dog if you prefer. Some also like to add French fries to theirs.
- I used Tortilla wraps and Pita bread for this recipe, but other flatbreads such as Chapati or Roti will work well.
- Make sure to pat dry the chicken before adding the spices because excess water in the Chicken will water down the spices.
- I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs because it yields a nice taste and texture after cooking (my own opinion).
- You can skip the seasoning powder if you want to just replace it with about 1/4Tsp of salt or simply add salt to taste.
If you liked this Easy Homemade Chicken Shawarma recipe, you may also like some of my other oven grilled recipes:
Easy Homemade Chicken Shawarma
FOR THE SHAWARMA MARINADE:
- 2 lb Chicken Thigh boneless
- 1 Onion large Red
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Tsp Ginger Minced
- 2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Turmeric or curry powder
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp bouillon cube optional
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or any cooking oil of your choice
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
FOR THE SHAWARMA SAUCE:
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Cayenne pepper optional- A hint of
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 Tomato ripe and hard
- 1 Onion small red & sliced into strips
- 1/4 lb Cucumber sliced into strips
- 4 to 6 Lettuce leaves
- 4 to 6 Tortilla Wraps large
- Marinate the Chicken – Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- Add all the Spices to the Chicken and mix very well.
- Cover with a plastic wrap or a tight lid and leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Grill The Shawarma – Lay the Chicken pieces on a parchment lined baking pan, transfer to a 425°F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Check to make sure it’s cooked through and char it for about 1 to 2 minutes just to make it darker (if you choose)
- Prepare the Shawarma Sauce- Mix the Ketchup, Mayonnaise, and Cayenne pepper together and set aside.
- Serve the Shawarma – Wash and slice all the Vegetables
- Spread a thin layer of the Mayonnaise and Ketchup mixture on the Tortilla wrap
- Layer the vegetables and Shawarma Chicken on the wrap, drizzle a little more sauce on it and roll it up.
- Optional - Place the rolled wrap on a heavy bottom skillet or a grill and brown the wrap enjoy!
If you make this Chicken Shawarma recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen