Crusty No-knead Dutch Oven Bread – An amazing bakery style Bread with a golden crisp outer crust, a soft, chewy interior with great flavor. If you use the dutch oven you will achieve a crunchy artisan type crust. This is a fantastic rustic bread!
A very easy and astonishingly tasty, crispy artisan bread given that there is no kneading involved. All the hands-on time you need is altogether less than 10 minutes because no kneading is required in making this Bread. Hence the fermentation time will be extended. All the other time involved is just resting time.
The resting time of this type of Bread usually takes between 18 to 24 hours, but this method does not require that much time that is why I call it the quick No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread. All the resting time you need is just about 3 hours, and you will have a beautiful Crusty No-knead Dutch Oven Bread on your dining table.
Yes, I have a love affair with Bread. From sweet soft white Bread to Dinner Rolls, to No-knead Baguettes, to No- knead Bread rolls and more. I think that has more to do with childhood Nostalgia. I remember the smell coming to my house every morning from a nearby bakery. The smell is irresistible. Till date, when I perceive the aroma of Bread, I just can’t resist it.
How to make the Crusty No-knead Dutch Oven Bread
All you need is Water, Salt, Flour and Yeast then mix everything together – don’t knead just mix till the dough absorbs all the water. That’s all for the dough. Cover up the dough and leave to rest for two hours – get yourself a good movie to watch at this time. For me, being a busy mom. What I do is either clean up, run a quick grocery trip or do some laundry.
After two hours, open up the dough, at this time you will have a kind of jiggly dough. Sprinkle a bit of flour on the surface of the dough, just for easier handling. Then, punch it down to remove the trapped air.
The dough is a very soft one but try to gather the dough together in a ball, lift it from the bowl and transfer it to a parchment paper laid on a flat table surface. Cover it up with a kitchen towel and leave it to rise again for another 1 hour.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 450°F and place the Dutch Pot inside the Oven. This will help to start cooking the dough as soon as it touches the pot.
After one hour, you can now score the bread with a sharp knife or a blade. However, Scoring is entirely optional. The bread will still rise and tear open by itself in the Oven. But I like to score the Bread just for aesthetics!
At this point, you can now bring out the Dutch Pot from the Oven and carefully transfer the dough inside the pot – Be careful it’s very hot! Cover up the pot immediately and take it back to the preheated oven.
Let it bake covered for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, open up the dutch oven and leave the bread to bake for another 10 minutes to perfect that brown crispy crust.
There you have it, your wonderfully crusty No-knead dutch oven bread crispy on the outside and chewy inside!
Often time, when I bake Dutch Oven bread especially when it’s still fresh. I just tear off a chunk and eat it as is. However, you can dip this bread in Olive Oil, Sauce and it’s also a great accompaniment to a hot bowl of soup.
So here is my technique for making flavorful artisan kind of bread at home using a no-knead baking method. Enjoy!
- After the second Rise, the dough can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Minimal handling is needed to keep the awesome texture of this Bread. If you keep on manipulating the dough, you will not achieve that.
- This recipe calls for two-hour rise time, and you will get an amazing crusty Artisan Bread. It is advisable not to go below the two hours to achieve the best texture in your Bread.
- If you like the giant holes in the interior of your bread, you can choose to proof it longer up to 24 hours. The longer you proof it, the more holes you get in the bread.
- This Bread is also very versatile. You can add any spice, seasoning or herbs if you wish.
- You can also spread some butter or olive oil on top of the bread and sprinkle seeds, oats, or grains over it.
- Use a large bowl when making this Dutch Oven Bread because the dough has a high tendency to rise so high.
Crusty No-knead Dutch Oven Bread
- 4 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 tsp Yeast
- 2 Tsp Salt
- In a large bowl add the Flour and create a hole in the middle. Then add the salt, yeast and warm water and mix until the water is totally absorbed by the flour.
- Cover u the bowl and leave it to rest for 2 hours
- After 2 hours, uncover the dough and press it down to remove the trapped air
- Roll it into a ball cover with a towel and set aside and leave to rest for another 1 hour
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F and place your dutch pot inside the oven for up to 30 minutes (or more).
- After 1 hour of resting the dough, bring out the Dutch Pot from the oven and carefully place your dough inside the Pot
- Cover it up immediately and return to the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.
- Leave to cool for some minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If you make this No-knead crusty Artisan bread, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen