Plantain pancakes – These are ultimate comfort food made from plantains and a few other ingredients. They are very light and tender almost like the French crepes.
Plantain pancakes are an astounding choice in case you’re searching for an alternate sort of breakfast. They look and have a similar consistency to a conventional pancake. However, the taste is altogether different, and they have a characteristic pleasant smell.
Yea, I know, I’m still on the issue of plantains. If you follow this blog, you will know I posted a recipe for plantain cake/Bread just last week, and apart from that, I have tons of plantain recipes like Plantain and Egg Frittata, Baked Plantain chips, Plantain Bread, Plantain puff puff, How to cook plantains and much more.
…and here I go again this week on plantain pancakes. I stocked up the house with plantains about a week ago, so I’ve got enough plantains to make even more delicious plantain recipes.
These plantain Pancakes are perfect for breakfast
I love the delicious flavor of these Plantain pancakes. They are not just light and tender, but they have a natural sweetness in them that makes them almost irresistible plus they cook more like regular pancakes. So what’s there not to love about this recipe?
Pancakes are one of our go-to staples for breakfast because it’s very easy to prepare plus my boys love them so much. Although they are a little more addicted to the African style pancakes!
You can serve with a side of Eggs and bacon. It also makes an excellent brunch. Don’t judge me; I believe Pancakes can be eaten at any time of the day!
- This pancake recipe is not the paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free or grain-free type of pancake.
- In this recipe, I used Flour, Milk, and Eggs. However this recipe is very versatile, you can make quite some substitutions like using Egg substitutes, replacing the regular milk with plant-based milk, or replacing the all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour.
- I used overripe plantains because the riper the plantains, the sweeter it gets. Therefore, try to use at least a very ripe plantain if you don’t have the overripe ones.
Other Easy Breakfast Recipes you might want to try:”
- Skillet Potatoes
- Turkey Salad Sandwich
- Chicken and Potato Bake
- Creamy cornmeal porridge
- Easy Homemade Chicken Club Sandwich
- Breakfast Potatoes and Egg Stew
- 1 Plantain large ripe or overripe
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp butter or oil
- 1/4 Tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Milk about 2 to 4 Tbsp milk
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- Peel the plantain and cut them into slices or little chunks. Place the slices in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth and lump free
- Heat a skillet/frying pan on a medium heat. Brush with a little bit of oil and once it becomes hot, pour the batter about a quarter cup at a time.
- Let it cook for few seconds to a minute until it begins to hold up just like the regular pancake
- Flip to the other side and cook for few more seconds
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter
- Serve with honey, maple syrup or whatever topping you prefer. Enjoy!
- Cutting up the plantain into small slices or pieces will make it really easy for the blender to blend it up
- Adding butter or oil makes the pancakes softer
- The baking powder will make it a little fluffier
- Feel free to add other spices or flavors like Cinnamon, Ginger or vanilla. Comes out really nice!
- Use a griddle (I don’t have one) or a heavy bottom pan (this is what I used) to prevent your pancakes from getting burned or sticky
- Don’t increase the heat to make them cook faster because they burn. keep an eye on them!
You can find me on Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with all of you!
If you make this Plantain Pancake recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen
Wednesday 5th of October 2022
Hi Lola the recipe is good and very interested easy.
Tuesday 31st of May 2022
Hi Lola! This recipe was amazing and easy! I think you should change the serving size to 1 since I ate all of it myself hahahaha.. Thank you!
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Saturday 9th of July 2022
Thank you for the suggestion, Keela. I am happy you enjoyed it.
Sunday 25th of July 2021
Quite yummy. Will never throw out my black plaintains again! and so easy to make!
Thursday 5th of August 2021
Please don't!!!!! 😍😍😍
Monday 28th of June 2021
Thank you sooo much!! This recipe was simple, yet very tasty. My family has grown tired of making and eating fried plantains regularly, searched and searched for a recipe in which I could use up 6 overripe plantains. It took quite some time, but I finally came across your recipe, and I'm very glad I did. I HATE food-wastage. I tripled your recipe and used gluten-free flour and flax eggs. My family loved it so much that I tripled it once more, hence using all 6 plantains. Thanks again!!!
Tuesday 29th of June 2021
Glad you found this recipe helpful and thanks for coming back with this awesome feedback. ❤❤❤
Tuesday 27th of April 2021
I made my own pancake using Plantain flour instead with some vanilla essence while following all steps and it came out very nice and yummy.
Friday 30th of April 2021
Thanks for the feedback Omalicha, glad the recipe turned out well for you. 💕💕