This Baked Plantain and Egg Frittata is a totally addictive dish. It’s chockful vegetables, and you can also add your choice of meat or seafood or whatever you like. It’s quick, easy, and inexpensive. Great for breakfast or serve as a nibble with a cold drink.
How to make Baked Plantain and Egg Frittata
If you are a constant reader of this blog, you will know how much I love my plantains. I eat them as chips, plainly fried, to replace french fries and so many more ways; and this plantain frittata is also another way I use to sneak plantains inside my meals.
If you’ve never had plantain frittata before, your first bite will be a pleasant surprise so simple yet satisfying. It’s more elegant than the plain fried plantains or egg stew. You will definitely want this meal on your table.
Plantain frittata is an omelet in which vegetables, plantains and sometimes meat are mixed into the eggs and cooked together. The mixture is then baked or slowly cooked on the stop till the omelet is set and cooked through.
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. These are ingredients you probably have in your pantry: It’s really an easy dish to put together.
This is my take on how to make plantain frittata. Often times, the plantains are cut into round or oval slices and carefully arranged on top of the eggs. However, I’ve simplified the method here by cutting my plantains into cubes and just spreading it over my eggs. Saves me a few seconds! 🙂
Other additions you can have in your frittata
- Meat – Often times, processed meat like hotdog slices or ham
[su_box title=”Other plantain recipes you might want to try:” box_color=”#273B56″]
- Plantain Pancakes
- Baked Plantain Chips
- Plantain cake/Plantain bread
- Fried Plantain Chips
- Plantain and Gizzards
- Plantain Fufu
- Sweet Fried plantains
- Kelewele – Spicy fried plantains
- Feel free to adjust the spice level to your taste
- Take care not to overcook the frittata, as the texture can become tough and dry.
- For a healthier twist, feel free to bake the plantain instead of frying it. Though, I personally like to fry my plantains rather than bake them because frying keeps them juicier.
- Feel free to add any other vegetables you have at hand or any other protein like meat, chicken or shrimps.
Feel free to add more or less and let this recipe bring out not just your culinary skills but also your creativity.
Baked Plantain and Egg Frittata
For the Eggs:
- 6 eggs
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Plantains:
- 2 plantains ripe
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive Oil
For the Vegetables:
- 2 Tbsp cooking Oil
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers diced
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers diced
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 2 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp seasoning powder
- salt to taste
- Cut the plantains into cubes season with salt.
- Preheat some oil sufficient to deep fry the plantains and fry till golden brown — about 3 to 4 minutes on both sides.
- In a skillet, preheat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Sauté onions for about 2 minutes add bell peppers, stir fry for another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and add the cayenne pepper, salt, paprika, and seasoning powder. Leave to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and paprika. Add some of the sauteed vegetable mixture and mix together.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking pan. Place the plantains over the mixture together with the remaining vegetable mixture
- Place the baking pan in a 350F preheated oven and leave to bake for 30 minutes.
Take care not to overcook the frittata, as the texture can become tough and dry.
For a healthier twist, feel free to bake the plantain instead of frying it. Though, I personally like to fry my plantains rather than bake them because frying keeps them juicier.
Feel free to add any other vegetables you have at hand or any other protein like meat, chicken or shrimps.
If you make this Baked Plantain and Egg Frittata, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen