The African Chicken pie – Stuffed with Minced Chicken (Ground Chicken), Potatoes, and Carrots. The Nigerian Chicken pie pastry is the same as the pastry used for the Nigerian Meat pie, the only difference is the stuffing. Though I have posted a recipe for the Nigerian Meat pie, I decided to make another video recipe for the Nigerian Chicken Pie because I wanted to answer some of the questions I usually get about the Nigerian Pie Pastry.
Notes about the African Chicken Pie:
I used my freshly ground Chicken for this recipe (you can see how that is done here) but you can use the store-bought Ground Chicken if you choose to.
Make sure your Water, Butter, and Margarine are very cold before using them for the Pastry.
Don’t overwork your dough, it will result in a dense pie.
I was able to get 10 average pies from these but you can get more or less depending on how thick/big your Pies are.
I’m aware that some people like their Nigerian Chicken pie dough thick while others like it thin, feel free to roll it out to your desired thickness.
You can use the food processor to combine the Flour and the Fat, it makes the work easier – but for clean up 🙂
As we all know, Margarine is really oily, so I used a combination of Butter and Margarine for this recipe because the Butter decreases the Oily tendencies of the Pie, it also yields a richer tasting Pie and also but you can use only Margarine as well
If you want a pastry dough that is fried and not baked I will suggest you go for the Nigerian Fish Roll because the fat content in the Fish roll is lesser which makes it more suitable for frying.
I have also written about other ground chicken recipes you will enjoy on the blog – check here!
****use 260g (approximately 19 Tbsp) of Margarine if you choose to use only Margarine.
I use the standard American measuring cup for all my measurements except otherwise stated.
How to make african Chicken Pie
For the Filling:
- 1 Pound Ground Chicken
- 1 cup Potatoes Diced
- 3/4 cup Carrots Diced
- 1 Onion Small Diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- Salt To Taste
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 cup Water
For the Pie Pastry
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 140 g Butter 10 Tbsp
- 140 g Margarine 10 Tbsp
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg optional
- 4-5 tablespoon Water or Milk
For the Filling:
- Preheat the cooking oil in a pan, add the diced onions and saute over medium heat stirring constantly until it until it becomes translucent.
- Add the ground chicken (minced Chicken) and cook it until it's no longer pink – bout 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoning cube, black pepper, chili powder and salt to taste together with the diced potatoes and carrots and leave to cook until the vegetables become tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and water. mix it together until the mixture is no longer lumpy.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken pie filling and leave it to simmer for about a minute. The mixture will become thicker.
For the Pastry:
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Add the butter/margarine and use your hands to crumble the fat into the flour until it becomes crumbly.
- Add the water, a little at a time until a slightly stiff but workable dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for about a minute or even less, the lesser the better.
- Cover it up with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes. (skip this step if you don't want a super flaky pie).
- Roll out the pastry dough to your desired thickness on a lightly floured work surface.
- use a knife to cut into rectangles or circle of your desired size.
- Fill the cut-out pastry with the chicken pie filling, but don't overfill so that you will be able to close the pie easily.
- Crack and whisk one large egg inside a bowl and brush the edges of the pie pastry with the egg then, fold the dough over to close it up and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Use the remaining whisked ggg to brush the surface of the Chicken Pie.
- Use a fork to prick the surface of the pie about two or three times and place the pies in a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
You might also want to check out some other Nigerian pastry recipe:
How to make the Nigerian Meat pie
How to make the Nigerian Fish Roll
Nigerian Sausage Roll recipe
Wednesday 8th of March 2023
Thanks for the good recipes
Friday 27th of January 2023
Please what if I don't have oven,is the any other means
Thursday 27th of January 2022
Nice write up.It very helpful for me
Friday 14th of January 2022
Hello, thanks for good recipe. I've got just a question,in the ingredients list, there is a half teaspoon of baking powder. where to use it?
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Friday 6th of May 2022
The first step to making the pastry is by mixing the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
Tuesday 23rd of March 2021
I haven't try this yet buh am sure it's gonna be yummy