Last updated on September 13th, 2020 at 08:54 pm
Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits — A hearty breakfast dish. Perfectly rich and creamy. It’s not only filling but also delicious!
Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits
Grits are very versatile and can be served sweet or savory. Either way, they are very delicious!
I love grits so much though I’m not from the south. I was first introduced to grits by a good friend about ten years ago, and I have since been enjoying the meal.
Personally, I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to enjoy the food you like. It’s all about the taste and how the food resonates with you. I like grits with butter, salt, and pepper. I also like them with brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins.
How long to make Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits?
This breakfast can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
What are grits?
Possibly the “most Southern” dish there is, grits are made from dried corn that has been grounded up. This meal, similar to polenta, is then cooked with either or a combination of butter, milk, cream, cheese, chicken stock, or water, and a wide assortment of foods can be paired with them!
How to make the perfect grits?
Grits, while simple, can be done well without a lot of skill, but they can also be done not so well (avoid instant grits at all costs!). Using simple, quality ingredients and following these instructions make these Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits the perfect way to start your day.
Getting a quality brand of grits is vital to making the best grits possible! Avoid instant at all costs. Soaking the grits beforehand—soaking overnight (if you remember) also makes them cook faster and gives them a bit of creamier texture.
How long do grits keep in the fridge?
These Sweet, Creamy Grits will last about 3 days in the fridge, but most berries will spoil sooner if they are mixed into the grits, so I would recommend adding them fresh each time.
What to serve with Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits?
This dish is versatile—it can be breakfast all by itself, or the perfect side dish to eggs, bacon, or any other breakfast favorite! Making it without the sweeteners also gives it the ability to be a side dish to lunch and dinner favorites as well.
- Add or substitute your favorite fruits—any can work!
- Make the grits savory by taking out the sweeteners and berries and substituting milk for chicken broth, you can also add cheese, bacon, eggs, and other breakfast foods.
- Another classic savory option is adding shrimp.
If you like this creamy breakfast grits recipe, you might also want to try out and my delicious creamy Shrimp and grits and my Southern Black Eyed Peas recipe. I’m sure you will soon add them to your repertoire.
Some of our other breakfast favorites
- Breakfast Semolina Porridge – Smooth, creamy, delicious, and healthy with the touch of cinnamon and honey.
- Creamy Jamaican Cornmeal porridge – A simple yet elegant breakfast.
- Grits thicken fast so it’s best to serve immediately.
- If the grits are too thick, stir in a little bit of water or milk before serving.
- If the grits are too thin, you cook a bit longer or allow to cool slightly.
Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits
- 1 cup water
- 1 cups milk or light cream more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup regular grits or quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons butter if using unsalted butter you will need to add half teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons+ honey agave, maple, brown sugar or any other sweetener of your choice.
- strawberries or whole berries
- Add the water, milk, grits, and salt to a saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture has reached boiling, lower the heat and cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter
- Serve warm with honey and topped with fruit.
If the grits are too thick, stir in a little bit of water or milk before serving.
If the grits are too thin, you cook a bit longer or allow to cool slightly.