Meat Floss (Beef Floss) – Here is another Northern Nigerian delicacy which is enjoyed by the majority. This is a vei delicious dried shredded Meat floss that can be eaten as a snack or sprinkled over Rice, stuffed inside bread or goes along so well with Nigerian Masa (Masa recipe here) and (here).
The Meat needs to be very tender I boiled mine for 2 hours but you can boil between 11/2 to 3 hours on a medium heat depending on the quantity of the Beef you are using.
Make sure the Water you use in Boiling the Beef is totally dried up before shredding the beef otherwise you might have some difficulty while frying it if the water content is too much.
Add very little salt in order to get the authentic Northern taste.
Meat Floss (Beef Floss)
- 3 pounds Beef
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 11/2 to 2 Cups Water more or less
- 2 cubes plus 1 more
- Salt to taste the lesser the better
- 1/4 Cup seasoning suya spice
- 1 Teaspoon hot chili pepper more or less depending on your heat tolerance level
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger powder
- 6 to 10 Tbs Oil preferably groundnut Oil but not mandatory
- Trim off any visible fat or connective tissue from the Meat and cut it into big chunks
- Rinse the Meat thoroughly and put them in a Pot. Add the Tomatoes, Red bell peppers, Onions, stock cubes and Salt to taste then cook this on a medium heat until the Meat is really tender and the Water is totally dried out (the Meat should be very easy to pull apart when it's done).
- Transfer the Meat to a cutting board and use two forks to pull it apart (you can also pound this with a mortar and a pestle to your desired texture)
- Transfer the shredded Beef into a large bowl and add 1 stock cube, Suya spice, chilli pepper, and Ginger Powder. Mix this together thoroughly s that the ingredients are well combined.
- Strt frying this in batches depending on how big your frying pan is. I started out with 2 tablespoons of Oil for one Cup of shredded Beef and I added more as I fried - please watch the video above to see important details on how this is fried.
- Once you are done frying remove from heat immediately because it burns easily. Allow to cool before enjoying it.
- You can store this in a air tight container an leave in the fridge for about 2 to 3 weeks. Enjoy!