This classic and easy Chicken Parmesan recipe is one you need to switch things up at the dinner table. Not only is it filling, but it is also delicious. It takes about 30 minutes to put together. It is sure to be a hit at the dinner table!
Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Making this easy Chicken Parmesan recipe has always been a hit with the family. This recipe is delicious and homey. It is made with tender chicken breasts, mozzarella cheese, and panko breadcrumbs.
While it might seem like there are several steps to making this comforting dinner recipe, it actually doesn’t take a lot of time at all. Within 30 minutes, this meal is done and ready to be enjoyed!
Also, the ingredients for making this easy Chicken Parm are ones that you can find in your pantry or your local grocery store.
What is Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is an Italian-American classic dish. It consists of chicken cutlets that are breaded, fried, and then covered in marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and melted mozzarella cheese. It is usually served with a side of spaghetti or other pasta.
Why you will love this Chicken Parmesan recipe
- The dish is crispy and delicious
- It is nutritious
- It stores well for future consumption
What Do You Need To Make Chicken Parmesan
To make the crispy chicken, you will need the following:
- Chicken breasts – to make this dish, you’ll need 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper – season to taste
- All-purpose flour – for dredging the chicken
- Seasoning and Spices – Garlic powder, onion powder
- Eggs – for dipping the chicken
- Panko bread crumbs – for coating the chicken to make it crispy
- Sauce: olive oil, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, bay leaf, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper to taste
- Toppings: mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and chopped fresh basil for garnish
How to make easy Chicken Parmesan
To make easy Chicken Parmesan:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, mix the flour, salt, black pepper, onion, and garlic powder in a bowl, then whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in another bowl.
- Place the bread crumbs in another wide bowl and the whisked eggs in another bowl.
- Dredge each chicken breast with flour, then dip it into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes per side, then remove to a baking pan.
- Top each chicken breast with marinara sauce and mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve over pasta or your favorite sides, and enjoy.
Tips for Making the Best Crispy Chicken Parm:
If you want your chicken Parmesan to be extra crispy, it is important to bread the chicken properly. Start by dredging the chicken in some flour, then dip it into an egg mixture, and finally coat it with some breadcrumbs. Once you have the chicken prepared, fry it in a pan of hot oil until it is golden brown and crispy. You can also bake it in the oven for a healthier alternative.
What is the difference between chicken Parmigiana and Chicken Parmesan?
There is no difference between Chicken Parmigiana and Chicken Parmesan. These two names mean the same for this recipe.
How is Chicken Parmesan traditionally served?
Chicken Parmesan is usually served with pasta, such as spaghetti, salad, and garlic or crusty bread.
What is Chicken Parmesan served with?
This baked Chicken Parmesan recipe can be paired with a number of side dishes. The most prominent pairing is pasta. To enjoy, place your Chicken Parmesan on your steaming hot pasta, and there you go!
Mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, Zucchini noodles, Caesar salad, or rice are other delicious options you can pair with this easy Chicken Parmesan recipe.
Why is my Chicken Parmesan tough?
Not pounding your chicken till it’s tender can cause your Chicken Parmesan to come out tough and make it hard to chew. This easy Chicken Parmesan recipe will give you the desired outcome – a tender, juicy chicken dish.
Also, if the chicken batter is too thick, the outside of the chicken will be crunchy and tough. Additionally, if you overcooked the chicken, it can become tough. Ensure to cook the chicken until it is cooked through but not overcooked.
Is Parmesan cheese healthy?
Parmesan cheese is a healthy option for cheese. It is highly nutritious and rich in protein, fat, and calcium.
- Chicken: We recommend using skinless and boneless chicken breasts for this recipe because they are more tender. If the ones you purchased are not tender enough, pound them with a mallet till they are tender.
- Bread Crumb: This recipe uses Panko breadcrumbs because it is lighter, more delicate, and doesn’t absorb much oil like other kinds of bread crumbs. However, another type of breadcrumbs that would work for this recipe is seasoned Italian-style breadcrumbs.
- Cheese: We used mozzarella and parmesan cheese for this recipe. Using freshly grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese will elevate the flavors of this meal.
Can I make Chicken Parmesan ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Chicken Parmesan ahead of time. It is perfect for busy weeknights when you are too tired to start making dinner from scratch. Bring it out of the freezer to heat up when you are ready to eat it.
How long can I store my leftover Chicken Parmesan in the fridge?
You can keep your Chicken Parmesan leftovers in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container and make sure to consume it within that period.
How long can I store my leftover Chicken Parmesan in the freezer?
Chicken Parmesan can be stored in the freezer for about 3 months. The trick is to store it in freezer bags or an airtight container.
Does chicken parmesan reheat well?
Yes, Chicken Parmesan reheats well on the stovetop or Instant Pot, but you need to be extra careful not to let your meal get burnt. Pay good attention to it to make sure everything is well reheated.
How long should I reheat my Chicken Parmesan in the microwave?
To reheat, place your Chicken Parmesan in the microwave and heat up in 30-second increments till desired.
To reheat in the oven, preheat your oven to 350°F, and place the chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
How do I keep my Chicken Parmesan crispy when reheating?
To get crispy Chicken Parmesan when reheating, warm it in the oven. Cover your meal with aluminum foil and heat it up at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
Other related recipes
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 6 fillets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or more if needed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or more as needed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil for frying
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese grated
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ¼ cup fresh basil for garnish (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of heavy plastic or in a resealable freezer bag. Place on a level surface and pound the chicken with a meat mallet to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Remove the chicken from the plastic and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Mix the flour, salt, black pepper, onion, and garlic powder in a wide and shallow bowl.
- Whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper in another wide and shallow bowl.
- Place the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in another wide bowl.
- Dredge each breast in flour, shake off the excess; dip in egg and let any extra drip off; then coat both sides of each breast with bread crumbs. Leave the chicken to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add about half an inch of vegetable oil. Heat until it begins to shimmer. Carefully place the breaded chicken cutlets into the oil (Don’t overcrowd them).
- Fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot, add the chopped onion and cook until translucent—about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cover with a lid and let the sauce simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Top each breast with some Tomato Sauce (about 2 tablespoons each), then sprinkle equal amounts of shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, followed by the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is browned and bubbly, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with basil or parsley leaves.
- Using freshly grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese will elevate the flavors of this meal.
- You can make Chicken Parmesan ahead of time. It is perfect for busy weeknights when you are too tired to start making dinner from scratch.
- Always pound your chicken breasts with a mallet till they are tender.
- Serve your Chicken Parmesan with a side of Pasta.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.