Oven-baked French toast recipe – A simple way to make french toast at home! If you are looking for an easy, delicious french toast recipe made in the oven, look no further! This recipe will please everyone.
FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
Here is an oven-baked version of French Toast. Just like the regular french toast, this is also made with plump slices of bread soaked in a rich bath of eggs and milk, but this is baked!
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST IN THE OVEN
The following instructions will guide you on how to make french toast in the oven without burning it or undercooking it. Enjoy!
Step 1: Prepare ingredients:
Preparing ingredients is simple—all you need to do is mix all the ingredients together, but first, you need to beat the eggs together in a mixing bowl before adding all the other ingredients.
In terms of spices, my to-go are pure vanilla extract and cinnamon. However, you can try experimenting with different spices or add-ins. You can even use savory spices instead of sweet cinnamon! The options are endless.
Combine all these ingredients together in one large bowl, then beat well again until the mixture looks frothy.
Step 2: Coat the bread:
Place the bread slices inside a reasonably deep baking pan evenly spaced apart. Pour batter over the bread slices to absorb the egg mixture. After 10 seconds, flip the slices over so they soak up the remaining egg mixture. If any extra egg mixture does not get absorbed, you can discard it.
In terms of bread, it’s best to go with something soft but dense—like challah or brioche. I also like to use my homemade sandwich bread.
Step 3: Bake
To make french toast, start by preheating your oven to 425F. Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, flip the bread and place the French toast back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes, or until it has a golden brown color.
Step 4: Serve
Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite toppings such as maple syrup, fresh fruit, powdered sugar, preserves, or sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mix if desired! Enjoy!
WHAT IS FRENCH TOAST?
I know many people know what this classic is, but for those who don’t know, I’ll explain briefly.
French toast is a classic morning dish made with eggs and bread dipped in buttermilk. It can either be made on the stovetop or inside the oven.
WHAT TEMPERATURE IS BEST TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST?
My preferred oven temperature for baking french toast is 425F. This allows for great browning on the outside.
- Breads made without gluten may take longer to cook through properly; It’s easy for their center to cook through much quicker than their surface because gluten-free ingredients tend to be denser.
- Try to avoid overbaking these loaves because they could become crumbly and flavorless.
- Be sure to watch them carefully since all ovens cook differently. You don’t need to open the oven too often. You can check a few minutes to the stated time.
- Be sure to allow enough room between each piece of bread. The bread slices should not touch or overlap in order to achieve even browning and doneness.
- Use a nonstick pan. Very important if you want your bread to release easily from the pan. If you don’t trust your pan or you’ve been using it for a long time, be sure to use a cooking spray before pouring the mixture over the bred.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
Are you looking for other breakfast recipe ideas? If so, check out our easy scrambled eggs and potatoes, stovetop french toast recipe, or our quick but delicious tofu scrambles that are great any time of day!
OVEN-BAKED FRENCH TOAST
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 to 8 slices bread
- 2 teaspoon butter at room temperature
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl and beat well. Add in all of the remaining ingredients, except the butter. Mix fully together until the mixture starts to froth.
- Grease the pan generously with butter, add the mixture, and arrange the slices evenly inside the pan to absorb the egg mixture. After about 10 seconds, flip the bread over and let it absorb the remaining mixture. Discard any excess egg mixture.
- Bake the French toast for 25 minutes at 425F. Flip the slices about halfway through, after about 10-15 minutes. Let the bread slices continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the French toast hot or warm with syrup, honey, or fruits.
- Bread loaves made without gluten may take longer to cook through properly; It’s easy for their center to cook through much quicker than their surface because gluten-free ingredients tend to be denser.
- Be sure to allow enough room between each piece of bread. The bread slices should not touch or overlap to achieve even browning and doneness.