Easy French Toast: Simple, decadent, and perfect with a piping hot cup of coffee. This recipe is a model of simplicity but it is irresistibly good! The easy recipe is a great way to start your day any day of the week.
Easy French Toast Recipe
This lovely French toast recipe shows that you can have sweets for breakfast. The recipe sticks to the classic flavors and uses a perfect mixture to make the French toast sweet but not overindulgent.
French Toast Ingredients:
- Bread – These slices need to be thick. About 3/4 inch thick. This will allow the slices to absorb the egg bath without getting soggy or falling apart. Challah or my homemade sandwich bread works perfectly well.
- Honey – Honey can be replaced with sugar preferably brown sugar or maple.
- Cinnamon – Brings out a rich aromatic and warm distint flavor in the toast
- Vanilla – Adds mor flavor to the toast
- Salt –
- Eggs and Milk – I recommend using whole milk because the amount of fat in it has not been altered. It helps to achieve a rich egg milk mixture.
- Oil or butter – For cooking the french toast. Butter helps to add a rich flavor to the toast. If using oil, oils like safflower oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil will work just fine.
The best type of Bread to use for making French toast
To make the French toast extra fluffy and delicious, you’ll want to choose a special bread. For example, using brioche or challah bread will make the French toast super light and fluffy. In addition, the airy bread will absorb all of the egg mixture to hold in the flavors and spices while cooking.
I used my homemade bread for this recipe and it worked out perfectly well!
Can use both the oven and the stovetop
Both the oven and the stovetop can be used to make delicious French toast. Cooking the French toast in the oven will give you an even bake on all of the slices, while the stovetop will give you more control of the doneness for each slice.
How long does it take to make French toast?
The stovetop will take a little longer, as each slice will need to be individually cooked for about 5-7 minutes.
How should I cut the bread for French toast?
The bread should be cut into pretty thick slices. If the bread is pre-sliced, just use that thickness. If you need to slice the loaf yourself, cut the bread into about 3/4-inch thick slices.
How to make French toast
- Scramble the eggs: The base of the French toast starts with an egg mixture. Crack the eggs in a deep bowl and mix well until the eggs look very scrambled.
- Add in the spices: Add in all of the other ingredients, minus the butter, into the egg mixture and mix well. This will be what the bread absorbs, so make sure everything is combined for even distribution.
- Soak the bread: Let the bread soak in the egg mixture, one slice at a time for about 10 seconds each. It will be done when it is fully covered and no parts of the bread look dry. Make sure to rotate the slices to fully distribute the mixture.
- Cook time: Lightly grease a nonstick griddle or skillet with butter and place it on the stovetop over medium heat. Cook the French toast until it is golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes each.
What should I pair with this breakfast dish?
While French toast is delicious on its own, it tastes even better with syrup, honey, maple syrup, or fruit. You could also serve it for a big brunch alongside eggs or other breakfast dishes. Try it on your plate with creamy grits or scrambled eggs and potato muffins.
More breakfast recipes
Breakfast doesn’t always have to be a simple bowl of cereal. Here are some of my favorite recipes to make any morning
- Breakfast Sweet Potato Hash
- Potato and Egg Stew
- Breakfast Tofu Scramble
- Breakfast Semolina Porridge
- Oven-baked French toast recipe
- Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits – A Southern staple!
Easy French Toast
- 6 to 8 slices bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp butter
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl and beat well. Add in all of the remaining ingredients, except the oil (butter). Mix fully together until the mixture starts to froth.
- Dip one slice of the bread in the egg mixture and let it sit until it fully absorbs the mixture rotating halfway through, about 10 seconds on each side.
- Cook the slices of the bread on a lightly greased nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat. Cook the slices for about 5 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with all of you!
Friday 22nd of July 2022
I need to know how to make frchtost please I need to know what to make frchtost with thank you so much
Chef Lola's Kitchen
Monday 25th of July 2022
Lee, the instruction is in the recipe card. Kindly follow it. You can make French toast on the stovetop in a lightly greased nonstick skillet.
Monday 13th of December 2021
Learning alot. Thanks so much chef Lola.