Last updated on September 13th, 2020 at 08:46 pm
Bell Peppers, Tomatoes And Eggplant stew – A lovely and refreshing choice for a family meal. This vibrantly colored, robustly flavored Eggplant stew is loaded with Onions, Red bell peppers, Yellow bell peppers, Green bell peppers, and Scallions.
If you haven’t had Eggplant stew before then you are missing out. Eggplant is naturally fat-free, it’s high in antioxidants, it’s rich in fiber and low in calorie. They are flavorful and so indulgent.
Eggplant stew is a stew of my childhood memories. Whenever my mom made this stew, we usually serve it over boiled yams and if there’s any left over, we serve it over white Rice. However, this is a fun and delicious twist to my moms’ recipe.
How to Cook Eggplant
This Eggplant stew is very simple and quick to put together, this is how:
- Trim the stems leave the skin on unless it’s thick. (If the skin is thick you can peel it off).
- Soak the Eggplants in Salted water
- Prepare the Sauce by combing the Onions, Tomatoes, Smoked Fish and seasoning
- Drain the soaked Eggplants and add to the prepared sauce
- Sprinkle with Parsley (optional) and serve
[su_box title=”Other Recipes you might want to try:” box_color=”#c12026″]
Salting and draining eggplants
Some raw Eggplants have a bitter taste so I will recommend salting it and allowing it to sit in hot water for about 5 to 10 minutes prior to preparing this meal. When you are ready to use it, just drain off the water. It will not only take away the bitterness in your eggplant it will also soften it and make it ready to absorb the sauce.
Bell peppers, Tomato and Stew
- 1 EggPlant
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Diced Greed Bell Peper
- 1/2 Cup Diced Yellow Bell Pepper
- 4 Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Onions
- 1/4 lb Smoked Salmon Fish
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tsp Bouillon powder Optional
- Black Pepper
- Trim the stem of the Garden Egg and cut into small Cubes.
- Pour the cut Garden Egg in a glass bowl, sprinkle with some Salt and pour hot water over it and leave it to soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the Olive oil in a skillet, add the Diced Onions and cook till it becomes translucent about 3 to 5 minutes
- Add the Chili Flakes and minced Garlic cook for another 2 minutes
- Stir in the Diced Tomatoes, and season with Salt, Paprika and Black Pepper. Cover it up and leave to simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes
- Add the Smoked Fish (Seasoning Cube) and stir in the stock. Then, add the Garden Egg, mix well and leave to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until the pulp becomes tender.
Go easy on the addition of the smoked Fish. A little goes a long way, else, the taste will overpower your stew.
If you don’t like smoked fish, or you don’t have it at hand, you can add sausage or just use seasoning Cube to give more depth of flavor of the stew
If you make this Eggplant Stew, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen