This easy-to-make homemade chicken tortilla soup is perfect for a weeknight dinner or lunch. The flavors are bold, hearty, and comforting.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This is one of my favorite chicken tortilla soup recipes, and I think you’ll love it too. It’s simple, easy to make, and full of incredible flavor.
This recipe is perfect for those nights when you want to curl up with a warm bowl of soup and some good company. We love the way the cilantro and lime juice add a fresh flavor to this hearty meal.
It’s also easy to make! Once you’ve got all the ingredients chopped up, you’ll be able to make this meal in no time at all. Just throw everything in a pot and let it simmer.
This recipe serves four hungry people, but if you have more mouths than that (or if you have friends over), just double everything except for the cilantro leaves (you can only add so much!)
Made With Rotisserie Chicken
This chicken tortilla soup recipe is made with rotisserie chicken, which means you don’t have to cook any meat. You just need to chop it up and throw it in! You can also use leftover roasted chicken if you have some in your fridge.
The other great thing about this recipe is that it uses a lot of vegetables—tomatoes, onions, corn kernels, and black beans—so it’s full of flavor and nutrients at the same time.
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla soup is a traditional Mexican dish that is typically prepared with a broth made from tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chili peppers. It usually contains shredded chicken and is garnished with fried tortilla strips, avocado slices, cheese, and cilantro.
I like to add beans and some vegetables to my healthy chicken tortilla soup to make it heartier and more filling. This complements the toppings and makes for a wonderful, nutritious lunch.
This flavorful soup uses ingredients that can be found at almost any grocery store, it’s one of those soups perfect for a cloudy, overcast day.
What Do You Need To Make The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- Aromatics: I sauteed garlic, jalapeno, and onion with olive oil to give the soup a nice spicy kick. The deglazing process that happens after you pour in the broth will add a lot of additional depth and flavor.
- Broth: I used chicken broth as it compliments the other ingredients, but water will work just fine if you don’t have it.
- Tomato: I used normal canned diced tomatoes, but if you want to add some smokey flavor, you should try roasted diced tomatoes,
- Corn: I have made this using both canned and frozen corn, both of them work great.
- Beans: To make it stick to the ribs, I added some canned black beans.
- Seasonings & Spices: To add that classic flavor, I added in lime juice, cumin, chili powder, paprika, chopped fresh cilantro, along with salt and pepper to taste.
How do you make chicken tortilla soup?
- Saute Aromatics: In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute the onions and jalapeno for about 5 minutes, or until they soften. Then add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute, or until aromatic. Stir nonstop to prevent burning.
- Add The Ingredients Into The Soup: Pour the chicken stock and add the canned tomatoes, black beans, corn kernels, shredded chicken, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and paprika into the pot—season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook The Soup: Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. If the liquid level becomes too low, adjust with ½ cup of water at a time.
- Finish & Simmer: Add the cilantro and allow it to boil for 2 more minutes. Adjust taste with salt and pepper until desired taste is acquired.
- Serve: Ladle into soup bowls and top with tortilla chips, sour cream, and sliced avocado. Be sure to serve while piping hot.
What goes with chicken tortilla soup?
I suggest making cornbread; it goes well with the spicy flavors in the soup. As for drinks, I love pairing it with either a Mexican hot chocolate or a mango margarita.
How to store chicken tortilla soup?
Be sure to cool it completely before transferring it into an airtight container; this will stay fresh in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Other Soup Recipes You May Like:
- Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Red Lentil Soup: A Delicious and Healthy Meal
- Flavorful Chicken Noodle Soup
- Comforting, Homemade Chicken And Rice Soup
- Simple African Chicken pepper soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (seeded and cut into dice)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz each, juices saved)
- 1 can black beans (15 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 1½ cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken (shredded)
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅓ cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Sauté the onions and jalapeno for about 5 minutes, or until they soften. Then add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds more, or until aromatic. Stir nonstop to prevent burning.
- Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, black beans, corn kernels, shredded chicken, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and paprika into the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. If the liquid level becomes too low, adjust with ½ cup of water at a time.
- Add the cilantro and allow to boil for 2 more minutes. Adjust taste with salt and pepper until desired taste is acquired.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and top with tortilla. Serve while piping hot.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook.