While growing up I was used to sprinkling a little salt to the peeled Yam and deep-frying it and there was a time my Dad introduced us to adding some Water into to the Yam while it’s being fried and this yielded a much delicate texture and taste but in the recent past a fast food chain came up with this brilliant idea of coating the Yams with spicy Egg and Flour mixture and they called it Fried Puna Yam and the outcome is amazing
You need to give this a try.
- 1 pound Puna Yam
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large Egg
- Cayenne/chilli pepper to your taste
- 1/4 Garlic powder
- 1/4 Curry powder
- 1/4 Black Pepper
- 1/4 Thyme
- 1/4 Salt
- A little powdered bouillon optional
- Peel the Yam and cut into rectangles about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick and rinse and drain
- Put the yams inside a Pot, add water about the level of the Yam,also add a 1/2 Teaspoon of salt and let it cook for about 7 minutes
- Drain off the excess Water and transfer the Yam to a bowl of cold Water to stop the cooking process
- once the Yams are cooled drain off the water and set aside
- Crack the Eggs in a Bowl, add a pinch of Salt and Cayenne Pepper to your taste and whisk together also set that aside
- In a separate Bowl add the Flour, Garlic powder, Curry powder, Thyme, Black Pepper and Bouillon and mix together
- Now deep the Yam (One at a time if possible ) in the Egg and Flour mixture respectively making sure the Yam is well coated
- Heat up the Oil and fry the Yam turning halfway between until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite Sauce or eat as is. ENJOY!