If you fancy Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies, this is the recipe for you. It has all the qualities of a great cookie – flavor, texture, and appearance. It’s also gluten-free, flour-free, and no artificial sweetener.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Cookies are eminently practical because they are very easy to make, and this makes them very useful for our busy lives. They also provide the pleasures and satisfaction of baking from scratch with very little effort.
These soft and chewy peanut butter cookies are really healthy because I have carefully lightened up the version of the popular peanut butter cookie recipe by excluding the sugar and this recreation lived beyond my expectations. My family went all out for it and it has now become a family favorite.
You don’t need any exotic or hard to find ingredients for these cookies. All you need for these cookies are peanut butter, Egg or Egg replacement, Oatmeal (I used quick Oats), Vanilla, Honey, and baking powder. It’s basically a flourless peanut butter cookie recipe!
I have made them more healthy by eliminating white sugar and white flour. I used honey which does not only sweeten the cookies but also provides a rich taste and a moist texture. I also used oatmeal in place of white flour to give you more fiber with few calories.
Just like any other peanut butter cookie, peanut butter is the essential character of this cookie, so it’s advisable to get a very good peanut butter. I tend to stay away from peanut butter with more than two ingredients. I use the one with just peanuts and salt. They are natural and they produce cookies that are appealingly soft and flavorful.
I also like to use the smooth and creamy peanut butter instead of the crunchy variety. This is just a personal preference for this recipe. I’m pretty sure the crunchy peanut butter will work just as well.
Substitutions and add ons for this peanut butter cookies
I used one egg in this recipe. If you are allergic to Eggs or just want to lower cholesterol, you can use flaxseed egg. Simply combine one tablespoon of ground flaxseed plus three tablespoon water. Leave to rest for about 3 to 5 minutes and you can use this as your egg substitute.
I threw in some raisins which are optional. If you like you can also toss in some cranberries, chocolate chips, or simply make it without any add ons.
How to store peanut butter cookies
If you have the ability to resist the urge of finishing them up in a day, then you can store them in an airtight container in a cool place away from the sun. It will stay for a few days.
** It’s very important to allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them.
Other cookie recipes you might also like to try:
This recipe yields one dozen cookies. Enjoy!
Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla optional
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg - 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1-1/4 cup Quick oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Combine the honey, peanut butter, Vanilla, and Egg.
- Stir in the Oatmeal, and baking powder and mix until a dough is formed
- scoop out a small dough roll it into a ball and flatten it out.
- Bake for at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes
- I feel these are best when freshly baked but my family thinks the next day cookies are best. Let me know what you think. 🙂
- Don't over mix your dough! Otherwise, it will result in a tough dough.
- Take the Egg and the peanut butter out of the fridge about 10 to 20 minutes before you start making your cookies. They combine easily when they are at room temperature.
- I prefer to use parchment paper instead of spraying my pan. If you don't have parchment paper just bake it directing on your baking tray. It will still come off easily, you might just have a little more cleaning to do.
- These are soft and chewy cookies so it's advisable to bake for just 10 minutes. It's okay if it doesn't look done at this time, it will continue to cook for a few minutes after they are out from the oven. However, if you want your cookies a bit crunchy (crispier texture), feel free to add a couple of minutes to the baking time.
- Leave the cookies to cool completely before eating.
If you make this Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen