If you’re seeking a wholesome, nutritious, and downright delicious way to start your day, then look no further than a hearty bowl of oatmeal porridge.
The Humble Oatmeal Porridge – A nourishing and versatile meal
In the world of cozy breakfasts, few dishes hold the same level of warm and comforting appeal as a steaming bowl of oatmeal porridge. It’s a classic breakfast staple cherished by many for its simplicity, versatility, and, of course, its heartiness.
Oatmeal porridge is a rich source of fiber and can be enjoyed in any season. More often than not, it is the most preferred breakfast globally due to its nutrient value and convenience in preparation.
This meal is also very easy to make from scratch. You can make this in about 10 minutes! You can also enjoy this as a healthy snack between meals or as a delicious dessert.
What is oatmeal porridge?
In simple terms, oatmeal porridge is a dish made by cooking oats in water or milk until they become soft and creamy. It is usually sweetened and can be garnished with a variety of toppings. The versatility of oatmeal porridge allows for a variety of flavors to be added, making it a delicious and customizable meal.
The process is as straightforward as combining the oats with water or milk, a sprinkle of salt, and cooking over medium heat until it reaches your desired creaminess.
Why you will love this oatmeal porridge recipe
- Quick and easy to make: This oat porridge recipe doesn’t take time to whip up. You also only need ingredients in your pantry. It’s such a low-effort, high-reward meal.
- Nutrient-rich: Oats are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals like iron and magnesium, making oatmeal a nutritious choice to start your day.
- Highly customizable: From sweet to savory, you can personalize your oatmeal with toppings like fruits, nuts, seeds, honey, or even a dash of cinnamon to suit your taste.
- Cozy breakfast option: When all else fails, especially on a cold winter morning, you have oatmeal porridge at your rescue. Its warmth and richness is enough to send you on a jolly day!
Ingredients for this Oat Porridge
- Rolled oats: Rolled oats, also known as old-fashioned oats provide a creamy texture, yet maintain a bit of bite which adds to their charm.
- Water or milk: This is for preparing the oats. Depending on how rich and creamy you want your oatmeal porridge to be, you can use either water or milk. Any of the two are great options.
- A pinch of salt: This is just to give the meal a bit of added flavor.
- Sugar, honey, or sweetener of choice: These are optional, and you can skip if you’d prefer to.
- Toppings: fruits, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, or other preferred garnishes for added nutrition, texture, and flavor.
How to make Oatmeal porridge
- Combine oats, water/milk, and salt in a pot on medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired texture.
- Sweeten with sugar, honey, or preferred sweetener, if desired.
- Serve hot in bowls. Enjoy as is or garnish with fruits, nuts, seeds, or cinnamon.
Toppings to serve with Oat Porridge
There are a variety of toppings you can garnish your oatmeal with. We have:
- Fruits: apples, mangoes, peaches, cherries, peaches, pears, dates, apricots, kiwi
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, peanuts, walnuts, cashew nuts, hazelnuts
- Seeds: chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds
- Berries: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries
- Yogurt: Add a dollop of yogurt to add more thickness and richness to your oatmeal porridge.
- Chocolate: chocolate shavings, chocolate chips and other chocolate bars.
- Spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg
How to store oatmeal porridge
First, allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. You can refrigerate the porridge but ensure you consume it within 3-5 days.
How to reheat oatmeal porridge
You can reheat the porridge in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a little extra liquid if needed.
Can I freeze oatmeal porridge for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the porridge for later use. Allow the porridge to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Thaw it when you are ready to eat, then reheat on the stovetop.
How long does it take to cook oat porridge?
It takes about 10 to 15 minutes or even less time, depending on how long you let your porridge simmer.
Is Oatmeal Porridge gluten-free?
While oats themselves are gluten-free, cross-contamination during processing is possible. Look for certified gluten-free oats if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Can I use instant oats?
Yes, you can use instant oats for a quicker breakfast, but keep in mind they may result in a softer texture compared to rolled or steel-cut oats.
Can this be made in advance?
Absolutely! Opt for an overnight oats technique.
Can I use milk instead of water to make oatmeal porridge?
For a creamier, thicker consistency, use milk. Non-dairy options like coconut or almond milk work for vegans.
Can I make oatmeal porridge in the microwave?
Yes, you can make oat porridge in the microwave. You can cook rolled oats in the microwave for about 2-4 minutes, depending on the consistency you desire. Make sure to use a microwave-safe bowl.
What type of oats should I use for oatmeal porridge?
You can use various types of oats, including old-fashioned rolled oats, quick oats, or steel-cut oats. It all depends on what you prefer. Rolled oats are the most commonly used for oat porridge as they provide a creamy texture. Quick oats are more processed and cook faster, while steel-cut oats have a chewier texture and take longer to cook.
How can I make oat porridge taste better?
Add in a variety of ingredients such as fresh or dried fruits, nuts, seeds, sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, and a dash of salt.
Can I make overnight oatmeal porridge with this oatmeal porridge recipe?
Yes, you can. Making overnight oatmeal is a delicious and convenient way to enjoy your oatmeal porridge meal. The oats would have softened and would be super creamy. You can also customize the flavors and toppings as you wish.
Other breakfast options to try out
- Scrambled Eggs and Potatoes Breakfast Muffins
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Sweet, Creamy Breakfast Grits
- How to make Breakfast Tofu Scramble
- Breakfast Potatoes and Egg Stew
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- pinch salt
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetener of choice honey, sugar, maple… (optional)
- flavorings vanilla, cinnamon, or nutmeg
- Toppings fruits, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, or other preferred garnishes
- Add oats, water, milk, and a pinch of salt to a pot. Place the pot on medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once the oat mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the oats are your desired texture.
- Stir in the flavorings: vanilla, cinnamon, or nutmeg if desired
- Sweeten your oatmeal with sugar, honey, or your preferred sweetener, if desired.
- Serve your oatmeal hot in bowls. You can enjoy your oatmeal porridge as it is, or garnish it with your preferred toppings such as fresh fruits, nuts, seeds, or a dash of cinnamon.
Let’s connect on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with you; nothing brings me more joy than seeing pictures of your creations. Tag me @cheflolaskitchen on Instagram and Facebook