These delicious honey garlic chicken thighs [VIDEO] come together in a snap and have become a family favorite. This easy dinner is so delicious and simple to make!
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
This recipe combines succulent bone-in chicken thigh deeply soaked in garlic, honey, and soy sauce and seared to perfection. It requires few ingredients, a short prep time, and an easy cooking process. You’ll love the sweet and garlicky flavor.
The chicken thighs are carefully pan-seared on medium-high heat to get a flavourful, tasty, and juicy result. The honey garlic sauce adds a fantastic flavor that will make you repeat this recipe. This recipe is an instant hit.
Why you should make this recipe
- Minimal prep time
- Easy cleanup
- Yummy and flavourful
Ingredients for making Honey Garlic Chicken
- Chicken: I used the skin-on and bone-in chicken thigh for this recipe. Also, chicken breast works fine.
- Paprika: this is your go-to for earthy and smoky flavor. It also enhances the color of the chicken.
- Oregano: fresh herb to spice up the taste.
- Cayenne pepper: for a dash of heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice: adds tangy flavor to balance the taste. Rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work as well.
- Honey: it determines the consistency of the sauce and adds a sweet flavor. Honey is easier to find, but you can still substitute it with agave nectar.
- Soy sauce: Use all-purpose or light soy sauce to add umami flavor.
- Water: add water to the sauce till you get the desired consistency. Chicken broth also works fine.
- Garlic cloves and garlic powder: I combined freshly minced garlic cloves and a pinch of garlic powder for a deeper flavor.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken
Cooking honey garlic chicken is pretty easy. Follow these simple steps to make your own.
- Season the chicken thighs and set aside.
- Sear chicken on both sides.
- Continue flipping the chicken until it is fully cooked.
- Add Lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and water.
- Continue to cook on medium-high heat until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, and spoon sauce over chicken.
- Garnish with lemon slices and fresh chopped parsley, and serve.
Tips for making Honey Garlic Chicken
- I used an all-purpose soy sauce for this recipe. If you don’t have it, you can also use the light soy sauce: it works perfectly. I do not recommend dark soy sauce because of its strong flavor, which can overshadow other ingredients.
- Don’t overcook the chicken.
Honey Garlic Chicken FAQS
What can I use if I don’t get Chicken Thigh?
I used bone-in chicken tight in this recipe because they are juicy and moist. The cooking time will be different if you use other chicken parts. But you can use chicken breast, wings, and tenderloin. Feel free and be assured that you will still get a delicious meal out of them.
Can I add veggies to this recipe?
Of course, you can switch up this recipe by adding any veggies of your choice to make a stir fry. Add broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower, and even pepper. You’ll enjoy the tasty mix and come back for more.
What can I add if this recipe is too thick?
If the sauce is too thick, you can add a bit of water till you get the consistency you want.
How do I know that the chicken is cooked Through?
You will know the chicken is done when the meat is no longer pink, and its juices run clear. You can also use a meat thermometer to measure the chicken. The internal temperature of the meat should be 165 ºF.
Is this recipe spicy?
This version is mildly spicy, which is the recipe’s beauty. Feel free to reduce or increase the cayenne pepper as you want.
Is this recipe Gluten-free?
Most of the ingredients for honey garlic chicken are gluten-free. However, I recommend you check your soy sauce label because most brands contain gluten. You can get gluten-free soy sauce at the grocery and make a delicious recipe.
Watch how to make it here:
The honey garlic chicken is at its finest when served immediately after cooking. It is okay to have leftovers, as long as they are covered and kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat at 360 °F in the oven, adding some water and covering with foil to prevent them from burning.
How to serve Honey Garlic Chicken
- Air fryer breakfast potatoes
- Rich and creamy mashed potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Jollof rice
- coconut fried rice
- Jollof couscous
Other chicken recipes you may want to try:
- Deliciously creamy chicken coconut sauce
- Chicken Fricassée
- Simple Homestyle Lemon Chicken Piccata
- Cilantro Lime Chicken – Tender, Juicy, And Flavorful
- Doro Wat – Ethiopian Chicken stew
- Easy African Chicken Peanut Soup
- Easy Creamy Smothered Chicken and Gravy Recipe
Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 6 chicken thighs skin on, bone-in
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work as well
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- Season the chicken thighs with garlic powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Sear the chicken: Heat a pan or skillet over medium-high heat; sear chicken on both sides. The skin side first. Based on the thickness of the chicken thighs, the skin side should take approximately 5-7 minutes, and the flip side should take another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Continue to cook, flipping the chicken as desired until the chicken is fully cooked or until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F.
- Add condiments: Lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and water. Mix well.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and continue to cook until the sauce thickens and reduces – about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately.
You can find me on Facebook, and Instagram. I love keeping in touch with all of you! If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram or Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen