Are you looking for the best air fryer whole chicken recipe? This is an easy, classic air fryer chicken recipe that is easy and fast enough to make for a quick dinner on any weeknight.
Whole Chicken Dinner Recipe
We have another whole chicken recipe for you! This time, it’s an air fryer whole chicken recipe. Rather than making it in an oven, it’s made in the air fryer. This recipe is inspired by my oven-roasted whole chicken recipe.
A whole chicken is enough to feed a small family for dinner. The only problem is that a whole chicken is one of the hardest meats to work with because of how bland it can turn out if not properly done. However, with the right recipe, it can please and satisfy any palate.
If you like this air-fried while chicken recipe, and you don’t have an air fryer, you can try this dry rub oven-roasted whole chicken recipe—definitely give this one a go.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Air Fryer
Knowing this recipe is a surefire way to bring out a juicy, delicious chicken for dinner. Here are the steps you need to take to make sure you get it right every time.
- Set the temperature of the air fryer to 375 F first before anything else. Leave it at the temperature for at least five minutes before you put the chicken in.
- Before you put anything in the chicken, make sure to remove the head and any giblets. These are hard-to-eat parts that will only get in the way of your cooking. Keep them around for when you want to make chicken broth, though.
- Pat the chicken dry and prepare it for seasoning. Take around two tablespoons of olive oil and rub it all around the chicken. This will help the spice mix to hold onto the surface, giving you a flavorful bite each time.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Flip the chicken once it’s past that mark, and cook it again for another 20 minutes. This gives you time to cook other side dishes to add to your meal, and our recipe for easy sauteed skillet green beans is a great pair to the chicken.
Once done, you should have a juicy chicken to carve up and enjoy with your family.
What Spice Mix Works For This Recipe?
Above, we mentioned a spice mix that will make your chicken flavorful with each bite. Here’s what you need for the mix:
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Bouillon powder
Mix the spices well, and rub them all over the chicken. The olive oil applied previously will help the spice mix bind to the chicken.
Why Should You Preheat the Oven?
Preheating the oven ensures that you kill any remaining bacteria on the chicken. Doing this also ensures that you have the shortest cooking time possible.
Is it Important to Prep Your Chicken?
Yes, it’s important to prep your chicken well before the cooking process. You can do so by patting it dry. Doing this gets rid of any excess moisture, providing you with crispier skin by the end of the cooking process.
More air fryer recipes:
- Air fryer salmon Fish
- Air fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Turkey Thighs
- Crispy Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks – Southern Style
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
- Crispy Air fryer baby potatoes
- Air fryer Chicken legs
air fryer whole chicken recipe
- 4 lb Chicken
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1-1/2 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Onion powder
- 1 Tsp Bouillon powder
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices except the Olive Oil and mix well.
- Remove the neck and Giblets from the chicken, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel, then trim off any excess skin and fat.
- Massage the chicken on the inside and outside with the oil followed by the spice mix.
- Tie the chicken legs with a chicken twine
- Place the chicken breast-side down into the air fryer basket. Turn the air fryer on to 350°F. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or till the internal temperature reaches 170°F
- Remove from air fryer and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- I have a medium-size air fryer. However, you can use any size you have. In that case, be sure to choose a chicken size that will fit your air fryer.
- If you don’t have twine, you can roll up some aluminum foil into tight ropes and secure them around the chicken legs (like I did). It helps to lock in the moisture. If you don’t have anything around to secure the legs just leave it and cook it that way.
What to serve with roasted chicken
The options are limitless but here are some of our favorites:
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Quick and Easy Tomato Salad
- Easy but delicious potato salad
- Sweet and savory mashed sweet potatoes
- Oven-roasted Sweet potatoes
- Crispy Yuca fries
- Taro fries
Cook Your Air Fryer Whole Chicken Today!
Learning how to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer is a great way to eat healthy nowadays. With this recipe, you’ll guarantee a delicious, savory dish every time. Get cooking and enjoy your meal today!
Do you need other recipes and feedback on your air fryer dishes? Get in touch with us today! We’ll answer your questions, listen to your suggestions, and we have other recipes for you to try out!